• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 P Spitting Eagle Quarter question

5 posts in this topic

Hello. How much is the spitting eagle 1983 quarter? I have one in a MS 60 or 61 grade, but I can't find prices listed for it. NGC just has the prices for the regular 1983 P and + grades. I know coins are generally worth what you might get for them, but what would you pay for an uncirculated one with a low-quality strike? Sorry, I don't know how to display pics.

Generally speaking, it would have to be a coin in NGC's variety plus. However this coin is not listed there. This is also not listed in the Cherrypickers guide. Therefore is would be considered as a minor variation. probably not worth anything extra, especially in low grade.

7/22/2013 NGC news. ngc recognizes 1983 spitting eagle.

i'd think the easiest way to find out the value would be to check sales history.

i saw one on ebay graded MS65 that sold for $275 or so, so yours in MS60-61 is gonna get much less than that....

Generally speaking, it would have to be a coin in NGC's variety plus. However this coin is not listed there. This is also not listed in the Cherrypickers guide. Therefore is would be considered as a minor variation. probably not worth anything extra, especially in low grade.

there's no much of a sales history, but i see on ebay that a normal 1983 quarter in MS65 sells for $30-$50, while this one in MS65 sold for $279..? looks like a lot extra!

ebay link

this seller actually had 2 for sale, both sold.

also looks like ngc does recognize this variety, so it should be on the ngc variety plus, though i won't take their listed prices as reference.

Yeah, it's definitely worth more than the regular quarter. First, no mint sets were issued in 1982-84, so we got that fact that makes mint state quarters worth something. Second, errors in coins after the 60s or 70s i've heard are rare, since technology has increased and everything. I'll probably hold on to it since it might allow more data to come in about the numbers available and prices. I actually put it on ebay for 50 plus free shipping as the starting bid but no one bidded. Oh well.