• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881/1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle FS-301

9 posts in this topic

I picked this up last week and I've been trying to figure out how rare this variety is. Any idea what the current market is for this coin? I've seen a few past auctions on HA but most of them are in MS condition.

1881LibertyHead5-OBV_zps9acdcd69.jpg

1881LibertyHead5-REV_zps5a16a8da.jpg

200% Zoom :

1881LibertyHeadHalfEagle-ZOOM_zpsc3b28c19.jpg

Nice repunched date Morgan!

It's not a Morgan. It's a Liberty $5 gold coin.

Your right. That's what I get for looking at some of my Morgans and commenting at the same time. :makepoint:

The NGC Census shows 106 for all grades combined, only 2 of which grade lower than AU.

Yeah, I saw that. That makes the population less than 1% of the total NGC graded 1881's. Does that classify it as "rare" or are there a ton of them out there that just aren't attributed?

The NGC Census shows 106 for all grades combined, only 2 of which grade lower than AU.

Yeah, I saw that. That makes the population less than 1% of the total NGC graded 1881's. Does that classify it as "rare" or are there a ton of them out there that just aren't attributed?

Don't know but these bring a nice premium at auction. Recent results suggest that's an $800 coin if there are no problems.

Several years ago I bought one as a regular raw 1881 that ANACS slabbed as AU58 in the small white slab. The overdate isn't obvious and most people need magnification to see it.