• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900-O Morgan dollar - help with VAM attribution..?

8 posts in this topic

bought this coin recently, it's in an NGC holder.

it has some interesting die cracks on both sides.

i know my pics are bad and out of focus (especially for the purpose of attributing a VAM),

but maybe someone could pick up enough markers on the coin for a good guess..?

not sure if it's clear in the pics, but theres a cool die crack running all through the date.

thanks in advance for the help!

(the dark patch in the bottom of the first pic is a reflection. )

1_zps555d37d1.jpg

2_zps02d65564.jpg

3_zpsf083be86.jpg

4_zpsab3adc3b.jpg

5_zps8fce502e.jpg

IMG_5933_zpsbf3dc310.jpg

IMG_5940_zpsae12e74c.jpg

That last picture gives no reference to the denticles below the MM and Wreath. That is important to line up the mint mark.

There are a number of different VAM's for that year/MM and your coin shares many of them, however, there are certain identifiers to conclusively narrow it down that are not available without in hand magnification.

Did you never read that link I gave you in the last Morgan thread you had when I told you that the Morgan in that thread was a Variety? Here it is again.

That was on Vam 12 but I do not think that you have a O/CC but there are 9 diferent ones and all have different characteristics to it's own ID. Some of what I can see in the pictures leads me to believe that this Morgan is lacking on that particular O/CC.

That mark to the right of the MM has me puzzled so far as I have just about went through all the listed VAM's for that year and MM and I have yet to see one that is identical to that you have there. It does not look like a remnant of the left C is present nor does the right 'mass' does not look like the remnants of a C either.

Just go to that page and choose your Date and MM and a list of all available VAM's known will be available for you to take that coin in hand and through the process of elimination you will eventually ID it for sure. But unless you can provide some good microscope pics of the proper areas it is really hard from those pics. For me anyway.

Good Luck!

That last picture gives no reference to the denticles below the MM and Wreath. That is important to line up the mint mark.

There are a number of different VAM's for that year/MM and your coin shares many of them, however, there are certain identifiers to conclusively narrow it down that are not available without in hand magnification.

Did you never read that link I gave you in the last Morgan thread you had when I told you that the Morgan in that thread was a Variety? Here it is again.

That was on Vam 12 but I do not think that you have a O/CC but there are 9 diferent ones and all have different characteristics to it's own ID. Some of what I can see in the pictures leads me to believe that this Morgan is lacking on that particular O/CC.

That mark to the right of the MM has me puzzled so far as I have just about went through all the listed VAM's for that year and MM and I have yet to see one that is identical to that you have there. It does not look like a remnant of the left C is present nor does the right 'mass' does not look like the remnants of a C either.

Just go to that page and choose your Date and MM and a list of all available VAM's known will be available for you to take that coin in hand and through the process of elimination you will eventually ID it for sure. But unless you can provide some good microscope pics of the proper areas it is really hard from those pics. For me anyway.

Good Luck!

I did go on VamWorld (and i've been using this website for years now) but could not match any of the listed VAMs to my coin.

thanks for the help! i'll have to keep trying

Well I matched a couple that was very close but that MM is what gets me. Is that some sort of gunk/build up around it or is it actual remnants of metal?

Well I matched a couple that was very close but that MM is what gets me. Is that some sort of gunk/build up around it or is it actual remnants of metal?

YES

Ok. Well since that is the case then I did match it up exactly but it would seem as though VAMWorld website is down right now so I can't go back to tell you which one I found it to be.

When it comes up later I will tell you what my opinion is and I think you will find the images match up close to perfect with the only subtle differences being from the life stage of that die.

Ok. Well since that is the case then I did match it up exactly but it would seem as though VAMWorld website is down right now so I can't go back to tell you which one I found it to be.

When it comes up later I will tell you what my opinion is and I think you will find the images match up close to perfect with the only subtle differences being from the life stage of that die.

Thanks so much! I'm waiting

1900-O VAM-21D Near Date, High O, Die Break ATE

Discovered by James Arnold July 2008

21D III2 5 - C3l (Near Date, High O, Die Break ATE) (181) I-2 R-6

Reverse C3l- Die cracks at top of STATES OF with die break between AT and small chip at top inside of E.

Comments: Earlier stage of this exact marriage is VAM 21E.

There you go. That is your VAM in my opinion.