• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journal of Numismatic Research

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I just received the new issue of RWB's research journal, and it's superb. The content is as good as one would expect based on his past work, but I see that the cover graphics have been advanced with a nice color portrait of Franklin Peale. This is an excellent publication that belongs in the library of any serious student of USA coinage.

David,

Thanks for the kind remarks! I’m honored that someone with your expertise finds the issue interesting and informative.

Each Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) is built around a single topic, but with considerable latitude. Contributors have no restrictions on length. The only requirements are original research and careful documentation.

The Spring 2013 issue (the one David Lange mentioned) is devoted to Benjamin Franklin Peale and the innovations and inventions he contributed to the U.S. Mint. Although most collectors will be aware of Peale's name, it is mostly in association with the steam powered coinage press. Actually, the press was not only an original invention, but it was one of about a dozen inventions and changes Peale made in the mint's operation. Almost single handedly, Peale brought the national mint from a rundown dump dependent on rickety engines and human muscle, to one of the finest and most efficient in the world.

Wizard Coin Supply has them, as well as the first issue.

PS: Next issue features the U.S. Navy smuggling gold from the Philippines, and the story of American POWs forced to deep-dive for silver by the Japanese – 1942.

PS: Next issue features the U.S. Navy smuggling gold from the Philippines, and the story of American POWs forced to deep-dive for silver by the Japanese – 1942.

wow!!

myself and a few collectors where i live will definately be buying a copy of the next issue!!