• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHEN IS A SET A SET? posted by Eagles-R-it

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

2013W SILVER EAGLE SET #s WAY OFF.

Well that is a good question. When is a set a set? To me when a set is put forth such as the 2012 and 2013 and even the 2011 ASE sets by the mint, and they are sold by one of the large sellers, and they are purchased by a long time customer, you would think that they would send a pair that is reasonably close in numbers.

So help me out here folks, am I wish full thinking or what? All my other sets are real good in matching up the numbers. I guess I feel a set is just that and when it comes with numbers they should be sequential or DAMN close.

Also the SP is cloudy, anyone have that in theirs?

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

Are you ASE / coin collecting or coin holder collecting? If you send your coins back to NGC for a regrade you can get sequential numbers on the holders. It would seem to be a waste of money but it can be done. I would argue the old rule applies. Buy the coin and not the holder. For ASE I would argue buy the ones you like, buy them cheap and don't worry about the value or sequential numbers.

My sets are sets when I acquire the first coin needed to start it. No it's not completed but barely started --- (one down and 50 to go). :) Of course by the time a set is completed all the registration numbers will be so far from a match that there is no comparison to find that a few were sent in by the same person or myself for that matter.

Here's the deal you are looking for -----Send your set in for re-holder when you are completely finished and have NGC re-holder with sequential #s and you will have your perfect set. :)

Rick

Eagles-R-it

Take your set to the "ULTIMATE LEVEL". :)

When it is completed send it in for all scratch resistant holders, Your page name heading and sequential numbers 001 to whatever. HeHe --- It's only money and the set will last for generations!!

For once I agree with mvcoins. I believe a 70 is a 70 no matter what style label is on the holder. I own a 1964 25c PF70 W CAMEO and it has the W on the holder, only in these instances I believe the holder means something. Also the fattie holder and the coveted early Black holder are both more valuable to some. If I were to get it reholdered I would lose the W.

I remember a collector who made posts about finding MS/PF70s with badly scratched holders for cheaper only to get them reholdered and save money. I have received holders with the corner cracked or broke off. I cherish those coins all the same.

I also wanted to compliment mvcoins for his restraint. It is possible to get ones opinion across without offending anyone or down talking anyone.

I remember back a year or two ago I went too far when I was typing and down talked Eagles-r-it and have regretted it since then. I believe anyone has the freedom to collect anything that tickles their fancy. Check out the #1 collection by points and you will see what seems like an obsession to some but to that collector they might be in heaven.

I do have to say that Eagles-r-it has collected something I haven't seen anyone else collect. I can understand trying to be all inclusive. I have what I would call a graders set for 1971 proof quarters. PF69, PF69*, PF69CAM, PF69*CAM, PF69UC. If I am at a show or shop and see a super frosty '71 quarter I can contrast and compare and maybe pick a potential $1000 coin from a $8 proof set.

Your set is a set because you call it that, as is everyone else's. It could be a gathering of coins, a collection, a hoard, or an investment. Anyways NGC started it by using that word. hehe Do what makes you happy. :banana:

If I correctly understand what you are asking, I would say the numbers don't matter in any fashion. The dealer who is selling you the ASEs doesn't give two _____ about the consecutiveness of the certification numbers. He (the dealer) submits ASEs, receives them back, and, most likely sorts them by grade (PF/MS70, PF/MS69, etc.). When they are sorted by grade, certification numbers mix. Now, the buyer purchases, say, two PF70s and gets different cert numbers. Even if the dealer got the same grades on two consecutive coins, I doubt he would care enough to send you consecutive cert numbers. But, in a "coin" series that rakes in so much money through "First Release" labels, "Early Release" labels, etc., you might be on to something with the sequential certification numbering...

As Six Mile Rick stated, you could always send your set back to NGC to have your set name/sequential numbering on the label.

I remember a collector who made posts about finding MS/PF70s with badly scratched holders for cheaper only to get them reholdered and save money. I have received holders with the corner cracked or broke off. I cherish those coins all the same.

That was my post a couple years back. I did that with a couple modern comms and ended up with a 70 coins in a new holder for way under market value.

Also, my SP and RP both had really cloudy retro black holders. It was the plastic and not the coin. NGC took care of the problem and reholdered the coins...great customer service!

Jeffrey