• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

another grading question(s)

4 posts in this topic

Do you think the graders or NGC would look favorably upon a submission of coins that are sent in under an express service vs economy? I am almost ready to send in some coins, it is hard to put a value on them, but some may be very near or over the $300 cutoff. For example, if they receive a PL designation or MS65 grade they may be over the $300/coin economy level limit. If i sent them all in under economy are they more likely to grade lower or not receive designations or would they contact me saying i sent a more expensive coin in under the wrong or incorrect service level??? Do you think if i sent them all in under the express level it would turn out better?? i do not know what to do with this one, it is controversial for sure. Any help would be great! Thanks,

zsb

I asked the same question long ago when NGC accepted old ANACS crossovers. I was told that if the value was significantly higher than the maximum tier value, they would call me. In short, I would submit under the cheaper tier (so as long as you are being fair about it), and I don't think they will bother you.

I agree.

Lots of collectors and dealers have a "system". Some feel the order in which you present your submission is important. Hit them with the great coins first, e.g. Show them the weaker ones last.

Some think you should sandwich a weak coin among nicer ones.

Some feel you get a better shake with an express submission. Going cheap with the economy tier gets you junior graders.

It reminds me of table gambling. Lots of guys placing bets, using their system, each convinced theirs is the way to go.

I think it's a crapshoot (to belabor the metaphor). I just use the service that fits the coin without regard to what might work better. I'm just not that smart.

Lance.

I asked the same question long ago when NGC accepted old ANACS crossovers. I was told that if the value was significantly higher than the maximum tier value, they would call me. In short, I would submit under the cheaper tier (so as long as you are being fair about it), and I don't think they will bother you.

PCGS is same way. The final grade determines value and they really only care to give you a call because of insurance when they ship it back.

When it comes to OP concerns-they are valid and I don't think anybody can give you a true answer. In *theory* it should not matter how you ship the coins or what order you put them in; a coin's grade should be a coin's grade. That said- a lot of collectors and dealers will tell you other wise. Many of us could give anecdotes about how we got a higher grade when we did this or how we got a 'bad' grade when we did that. Does that mean that correlation is causation? Maybe. Could it be superstition playing tricks? Maybe.