• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'd like some thoughts on what you all think this SLQ should grade

15 posts in this topic

Sorry I know these pics are not the best, I need to send this one off to Mark Goodman for proper pics but take a shot anyway. Just to be fair there is a sm hit in the center of the shield that is hidden by the light reflection.

1930obv-1.jpg1930rev-1.jpg

Edited to add: just for comparison this is the MS65FH that is in my mint set at this time, these pics were done by Mark.

1930qdobv1_zps7977418d.jpg1930qdrev1_zps609602c7.jpg

66 based on the relative lack of hits on the devices/fields and blazing luster from those pics. Looks like it could be FH but without larger pics, both the grade and designation are just guesses.

I know what Mark said but I like it at 65FH. The luster appears to be booming.

I agree about the luster and an MS65 grade would not surprise me in the least. I wish I could have guessed based on a larger image.

First impression – MS 66 FH , however as Mark F pointed out there does appear to be some nicks on the knees . The ding in the shield does not help . So MS 65 seems fair.

Picture attached on my MS 66 FH Star . Why did mine get a star you ask – only reason I can think of was the booming original luster on the coin .

140762.jpg.d13c26fc324cf47d8db846a28d62a72b.jpg

My gut feeling MS65+ FH shot MS66 FH.

The grade limiting factor appears to be the marks on the legs, which I am thinking are probably exaggerated by the photos. If the marks are significant, I could see as low as MS64, but I think based on luster alone, the TPGs would likely shove it in a 65 holder.

I would grade it MS-64, Full Head.

The coin does have a lot of luster, but it have been enhanced by dipping. It been my experience that a dipped coin from this era seldom grades higher than MS-64. Compare it with the MS-65 graded coin you pictured in the second set of photos. That one has an original surface, frosted appearance.

The piece also has a few small marks on Ms. Liberty's leg and belly that might keep it from making MS-65.

Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions, both of these are graded as MS65FH. Bill in hand both of these are bright but the new coin is a tick brighter, the pics of the second coin do look somewhat more subdued but that is a function of the lighting/camera work and larger picture size. The newest addition (small pics) is better struck with better details, but it does have that one hit on the ankle. Overall I like the new coin better but its close, I have been debating on if I want to send this back either thru resubmission or regrade and try for a + or 66, still undecided on that one.

Regards

Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions, both of these are graded as MS65FH. Bill in hand both of these are bright but the new coin is a tick brighter, the pics of the second coin do look somewhat more subdued but that is a function of the lighting/camera work and larger picture size. The newest addition (small pics) is better struck with better details, but it does have that one hit on the ankle. Overall I like the new coin better but its close, I have been debating on if I want to send this back either thru resubmission or regrade and try for a + or 66, still undecided on that one.

Regards

I think the coin is fully graded.