• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading of Army MS 50c and 5 star General 50c

9 posts in this topic

Does any have an opinion on why both of these coins do not grade higher than ms69? Is there

a flaw common to all? If so wouldn't that be discounted? I sent in 50 of the 5 star general 50c

all came back ms69. just checked and 8 have made ms70 out of 742.

Despite the fact that the two you mention are commems, the handling isn't all that different from regular uncirculated coins. Granted, the Mint staff does take a little more care, but it is all but impossible to handle each and every coin with kid gloves. You don't need to look any further back than the (now discontinued) Satin Finish Mint Sets as a perfect example of how special handling can prove to be too expensive to make it worthwhile.

Chris

Did they change their procedures since 2008? prior to these 2 comm 50c pieces there were quite a lot of ms70's.

I don't know. I stopped buying commems in 2006.

Chris

Did you sent them to PCGS or NGC. If it is PCGS you could be part of the "Let's control the number of MS-70 graded coins we issue to maintain the market price," strategy. That might seem cynical, but I think PCGS does keep tabs on that.

IF you can find ANY type of defect on the coin, it should not grade MS-70. Perhaps all the pieces you sent end have some tiny mark. It would not surprise. me.

Every thing I was talking about was NGC. All were sent in in their mint capsules. I just seems

strange to me that the quality on the MS halfs just suddenly went down. I was hoping that

someone at NGC could speak to this topic.

Just saying that none of your coins made MS-70 doesn't really tell us anything. The fact is if the coins have one small mint caused hole or defect in the surface, which could have been on the planchet or the die, that would knock them out of the MS-70 category. Perhaps all of your coins were struck by one die pair that had such a defect. In that case none of them would make MS-70.

• Administrator

Unfortunately on these two issues the Mint has apparently had some problems with the planchets. These coins often come with quite a lot of planchet defects, and therefore 70's are quite rare. We are surprised when we come across a coin that is free of planchet issues as they are clearly not the norm.

-Paul

• Administrator

Unfortunately on these two issues the Mint has apparently had some problems with the planchets. These coins often come with quite a lot of planchet defects, and therefore 70's are quite rare. We are surprised when we come across a coin that is free of planchet issues as they are clearly not the norm.

-Paul