• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giving a Problem coin a Net Grade

3 posts in this topic

Hi

I was wondering if NCS someday will give a Net Grade on there Problem Coin Slab instead of just details such as UNC Detail. It seems to me that there is another Grading service that does put down the Net Grade in Numatic terms. I was thinking that if after a problem coin had been conserved it could also be sent to the Grading company for a Net Grade as you send non problem coins for grading now. To me this would give the collector or buyer a better idea of the actual grade for lets say the term UNC Detail that is now what if on the slab. This could mean MS 60 to MS 63. Just an idea.

Thanks for listening.

PapaG

There currently are no plans to change the NCS Details Grade service by adding a "net grade" to the coins we encapsulate. The reasons we will continue this way are the same now as they were when we first introduced our holders. There is principally one reason we do not give a net grade to coins in our holders. Net grading is essentially an attempt to assign value. In order to net grade we would have to determine the details grade and then make an assumption of how severe the problem is and how much that assumption should affect the value of the piece. We believe this determination should be made by the buyer and seller and not arbitrarily by us.

Chris, NCS