• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever bought a coin just because the way it looked?

12 posts in this topic

I did recently at the ANA worlds Fair of money.

It didn't fit any of my registry or custom sets. It wasn't expensive or worth a lot of registry points 304. It did pull at my new found love of blue toners that began with my first toned coin purchased earlier this year for my 1879 mint set. A seated liberty half ms-66 which i thought at the time had a lot of blue. I thought it was so blue I wrote a journal entry about it. Well two months later I found a liberty seated quarter ms-67 CAC blue and 1879 of course. While at the ANA show in Chicago I ran across the coin that prompted this journal, a 1888 Morgan silver, really BLUE dollar in ms-63. See attached pic.

Side note I did find a 1879 shield nickel but in a lower grade than I had hoped. NGC has only certified 75 in all grades so i guess i should be happy. Look out New Orleans mint all i need is the S$1, G$10 and G$20. Happy hunting to all.

14203.JPG

See more journals by #

Yes I have bought a coin because of how it looked and the one you picture is a beauty! There is nothing quite like a coin with lots of eye appeal, it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. This is why beautifully toned coins often command a premium in the marketplace. I'm glad you had a good ANA show.

Gary

Ever bought a coin just because the way it looked?

I'm not sure I've ever bought a coin (for my collection) for any other reason..

that's a beautiful Morgan right there! nice pick up!

I try to only buy coins that smack me in the face!

I really love distinctively and attractively toned type coins and your dollar seems to fit that description. Congrats!

I believe that really beautiful coins offer the best investment opportunity for collectors. Anyone can simply fill dates in their collection, but being a "fussy buyer" will pay the best long term dividend in my opinion.

Congrats on your new addition.

Cheers !

Rich

I've bought multiples of coins because I liked the way they looked. Here's one example. It's even a common date, but it was too nice to pass up so I bought another.

1886MS66CAC_zpsc58e2925.jpg

Yes, I do this all of the time. This is especially true if a coin has some phenomenal attribute such as great toning, PL surfaces, blinding luster, etc. At one point I had a complete roll of MS65 Morgan Dollars of the same date in NGC old no line fatties because I thought (based on the sellers' images) that the coins had a good chance of either upgrading or receiving a gold CAC sticker.

here's one that i once owned, shane sold it for me on his ebay account.. looks like your coin's cousin!

it was a New Orleans 1884, i believe it was graded NGC MS64 / CAC , and it sold for just over $500

4-25.jpg