• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG: 1911 Liberty Head Nickel (GRADE REVEALED)

10 posts in this topic

This series is so hard to judge for me, I'll go MS65 as a shot in the dark.

For purposes of attempted education for anyone who is unfamiliar with the series...

Based on the images, the coin looks nearly flawless in terms of marks, spots, streaks, etc. It also exhibits plenty of luster and nice color. It looks better/more appealng than the large majority of business strike Liberty Nickels I have seen.

If the strike were better, I would have guessed MS66+ or MS67. And that's even though I know that based on the odds/populations, even MS66's are tough to come by.

Even if it turns out that the coin grades less than MS66, my point is, that based on the images, there is no good reason not to grade it MS66 or higher.

On the Obverse, stars 6 and 7 are weakly struck, as is the top area of the hairline. Fields and devices clear of any distracting hits.

Reverse is clear of any distracting hits in the field and devices. Weak strike in the bow and corn.

I like this coin. Beautiful V. MS65 totally based on the weak strike areas.

Carl

On the Obverse, stars 6 and 7 are weakly struck, as is the top area of the hairline. Fields and devices clear of any distracting hits.

Reverse is clear of any distracting hits in the field and devices. Weak strike in the bow and corn.

Carl

Carl, that's too much of a grading points deduction for strike, on an otherwise superb looking coin. And particularly for a series which tends to have issues with less than full strikes.

Carl

Carl, that's too much of a grading points deduction for strike, on an otherwise superb looking coin. And particularly for a series which tends to have issues with less than full strikes.

Mark,

Thanks for the guidance. That's exactly why I'm on these forums--to learn more about all aspects of numismatics and particularly the nuances of grading coins.

Carl

Carl

If this coin were struck more sharply, it might well make MS-67. The mark on the obverse in front of Ms. Liberty's mouth is a mint caused planchet defeat IMO. The mark to the right of the "V" on the reverse and probably the one to the left of the "C" in "CENT" are true post mint injuries.