• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I would love some input before I send these Morgans off for grading (26 of them)

6 posts in this topic

Here is an album of all of them: Link

I know this is a bit greedy of me to ask this much at one time... So I'm only hoping for a quick ballpark or if I shouldn't bother with sending some of them off.

If some of the pictures are blurry I can definitely take a better one. I'm currently on away from home and don't have access to a scanner for another week or so. I would have scanned them than taking pictures otherwise.

There might have been a couple I may have......

I noticed a couple had some black, ink-like substance on them. There are a lot of cool dates and mintmarks, but IMHO, i think all of them can be found already certifed for decent prices. I myself have them all except the 94-O and 95-O. Unless you got them for a really good price.....

I know I purchased an 1884-S for XF money and it came back as AU53.

What do I know though

There might have been a couple I may have......

I noticed a couple had some black, ink-like substance on them. There are a lot of cool dates and mintmarks, but IMHO, i think all of them can be found already certifed for decent prices. I myself have them all except the 94-O and 95-O. Unless you got them for a really good price.....

I know I purchased an 1884-S for XF money and it came back as AU53.

What do I know though

The black on some of them may be on the plastic. I haven't really looked yet. They haven't been removed from the holders for probably 40-50+ years. They were all bought by either my Great Grandfather or Grandfather for around 15 bucks, give or take 5.

I have quite a few more Morgans but they are generally not worth the grading I believe - unless they ended up MS60 +.

I quickly skimmed through the lot, and even though there are some better dates in the group, most of these are not worth submitting in circulated grades. The only coins that I would CONSIDER submitting would be coin #6, coin #7, coin #10 (if not damaged), coin #11, coin #12 (borderline), and coin #13. On at least one of these coins, there is some discoloration that could be damage, but it is hard to tell. It could just be dark toning. I'm not opining that everyone will grade in a problem free holder, but these are the coins whose value would be reasonable enough to consider certification in my opinion.

I showed these to a good buddy of mine who is a Morgan expert. He says that the ones he would send in for grading using the $200 cutoff line would be: 1893, 1894S and O and 1895O. He says there are a couple others worth that amount but they will sell for that price regardless.