• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It Speaks for Itself

14 posts in this topic

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but the "Report Item" link above the item description does wonders for items like this which are abundant on eBay. You could then use "prohibited and restricted items" under report category, "stamps, currency, and coins" under the reason for the report, and "certified coins" for the detailed reason. I think eBay may be the ideal and more appropriate venue if you are going to see any action taken on the listings. I doubt eBay cares about what any of us here think.

I don't see that the seller is committing any reportable eBay infractions. There are no rules against asking ridiculous prices, and there are no rules against listing coins that happen to be in unreliable slabs.

I don't see that the seller is committing any reportable eBay infractions. There are no rules against asking ridiculous prices, and there are no rules against listing coins that happen to be in unreliable slabs.

I'm not sure what you are basing this comment of yours on..

there certainly are!!!!!!!!!

in the item specifics, the seller describes the coin's grade as "MS66".

since this coin is not graded by one of the 4 ebay-acceptable TPG's, it must be listed as a raw coin and NO MENTION OF A NUMERICAL GRADE IS ALLOWED.

from ebay:

"A graded coin is one that has received a numeric grade (MS-65, for example) from a coin grading company. This numeric grade can be included in the title, description, or item specifics of the listing only if the coin has been graded by a company that has been found by us to meet certain minimum objective criteria.

Single coins listed in the Coins & Paper Money > Coins: US category with a starting bid price, reserve price, or Buy It Now price of $2,500 or more must receive a numeric grade from an approved grading company, and the numeric grade must be included in the listing. This requirement doesn't apply to bullion listings or collections, lots, or sets listed within the Coins & Paper Money > Coins: US category.

Approved grading companies:

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)

Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)

American Numismatic Association Certification Service (ANACS)

Independent Coin Graders (ICG)

Criteria for approved grading companies

To be an approved grading service on eBay, the grading company must, at minimum, meet the following objective criteria:

The service has graded at least 50,000 pre-1956 coins.

The service provides a live, online population report.

There are at least 3 graders on staff who are considered numismatic experts. A numismatic expert is an individual who has been a full-time numismatist for at least 5 years. At least 1 of the graders should be a member of the Professional Numismatists Guild, and all 3 should be members of the American Numismatic Association.

The service provides a written buyback guarantee for coins later determined to be counterfeit, damaged, misgraded, or misattributed.

Slabbed coins must be encased in a unique, tamper resistant holder with anti-counterfeiting measures (such as a hologram or other method).

The service enables online verification of unique serial numbers.

If a coin isn't graded by one of these grading companies, it's considered raw and must meet the requirements for raw coin listings.

A coin graded by a non-approved grading company can be listed, but the numeric grade can't be included in the title, description, or item specifics. You can include an image of the coin in its graded holder even if that image shows a numeric grade on the holder.

We're always looking for companies that meet our grading criteria. Coin grading companies that meet these standards are encouraged to contact us."

He lists the item as certified, states the name of the service in text (look at the box at the top of the description), and lists a numerical grade. EBay prohibits the listing of numerical grades in text of services other than PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG. The listing does violate eBay policy.

Listing_zps52826dbe.jpg

I think this is an absolutely small infraction at the most. He doesn't list the basement grading company in the title or the numerical grade there. Not to mention that the starting price and BIN are so ridiculous that the chance of "misleading" some newbie are pretty much nil. Oh, and the guy's ebay handle is "rawman911".

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Opinon, on the rev is that damaged finning or rim cuds?

I looked at that too. I also checked the save area on the obverse. I didn't see anything, so, I think it's rim cuds.

He did have sense enough to look up the PCGS price guide for the coin-then added some to it.

He may not know what he is doing. I messaged him and gave him nice 'heads up'. If he takes it down or changes listing then all is good.

I am just astonished at the brazenness of some people. Do they really think people with that much free cash are that dumb?

He did have sense enough to look up the PCGS price guide for the coin-then added some to it.

He may not know what he is doing. I messaged him and gave him nice 'heads up'. If he takes it down or changes listing then all is good.

I am just astonished at the brazenness of some people. Do they really think people with that much free cash are that dumb?

Unfortunately, on some occasions, a buyer is that clueless. And it costs very little for sellers to try to profit in that fashion.

Think about all of the bidders who bid hundreds or thousands of dollars, even on extremely poorly made counterfeits. It's hard to fathom, but I am frequently reminded of it on Ebay.

Unfortunately, on some occasions, a buyer is that clueless. And it costs very little for sellers to try to profit in that fashion.

Think about all of the bidders who bid hundreds or thousands of dollars, even on extremely poorly made counterfeits. It's hard to fathom, but I am frequently reminded of it on Ebay.

I know it is just sad.

But...but, for awhile, everyone is happy. The seller makes a fist full of money, e-Bay/Pay-Pay collect their fees, the buyer is happy they won...the only down turn is when the buyer tries to sell their coin or their heirs do, they are given the sad downer news. :(