• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh Gee whizzzzzzz - my first negative feedback.

39 posts in this topic

Don't you love retaliatory negative feedback?

To make a very long story short, I finally left negative feedback for a guy who:

1) Refused to answer my emails/invoices.

2) Would not pay in full for his auction/shipping (a pittance at that).

3) Only responded by underpaying me when I filed an unpaid auction dispute with eBay.

4) Would not respond to an email about paying the balance (yes, only a buck - on a $3.35 auction!).

5) Lied to SquareTrade that he would pay the balance when I filed with them to resolve the problem.

6) Accepted his money back after my specified time period for resolution.

7) I waited for 5 and 1/2 weeks to close the dispute!

8) Received negative feedback from me for not paying a balance in full and not communicating.

9) Wrote me to ask me why I left him negative feedback and received a polite and detailed answer from me!

So I've filed to have the neg removed, but we'll see. eBay is funny about these things, but I think I followed all the right procedures.

Don't you just love it when a guy like this participates in your auction, makes your life ridiculously difficult, then retaliates after earning his just deserts? (Remember, it's my fault that he never paid me in full, so I'm in the wrong here! screwy.gif)

Shouldn't there be a way to keep these people from leaving retaliatory feedback?

Hoot

I might be wrong, however, I believe you can respond, in your own feedback record, to feedback that is left to you. If you respond to this feedback and leave personal information of his in your response, I think ebay will pull the entire feedback left to you from that person. So, just leave the guy's name or something like that and then let us notify ebay that you have done so. Alternatively, you might swear, or suggest that there is mail fraud involved, in your response and let someone complain. I have never done these things but I think I recall that people have stated this is how to remove a negative.

There is a legit way of having negative feedback removed if you filed a dispute resolution over the person who negged you, which I did, and it was not resolved by a demonstrable agreement. So, I've filed for that. I have thought of various responses to his neg, but also think I'll wait to see what eBay says.

Thanks Tom. Hoot

Well, since you're such a bad ebayer (and person in general), I'm glad the negative will remind me to never do business with you on eBay makepoint.gif

On a serious note, if eBay doesn't do anything (why would they?) you can also put a link in your response and the whole feedback will be removed when they're informed.

Jeremy

PS- I've delt with Hoot, and he's cool yay.gif

PPS- That dancing banana, too, is cool yay.gif

PPPS- Damn, that banana is REALLY cool yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Well, since you're such a bad ebayer (and person in general), I'm glad the negative will remind me to never do business with you on eBay makepoint.gif

On a serious note, if eBay doesn't do anything (why would they?) you can also put a link in your response and the whole feedback will be removed when they're informed.

Their own rules allow for negative feedback to be removed when unfairly applied. As long as you follow their rules and procedures, they are supposed to do something about it.

What link are you referring to? devil.gif

Jeremy

PS- I've delt with Hoot, and he's cool yay.gif

PPS- That dancing banana, too, is cool yay.gif

PPPS- Damn, that banana is REALLY cool yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

yay.gifangel.gifyay.gifangel.gifyay.gifangel.gifyay.gifangel.gifyay.gifangel.gifyay.gifangel.gifyay.gif

A link anywhere should suffice--just start with http:// and end with .com (put something in the middle)

cool.gif

As a last resort... Hoot

If you really want to slam him, I would leave a "response" to his neg that is polite. And, in that response, also give more details about the transaction history. You can also post a thread of your mis-adventure with ktkoins across the street and then have the posse lynch him -- like he deserves. Then, email him a link of the posse thread.

The power of the people!

EVP

If you really want to slam him, I would leave a "response" to his neg that is polite. And, in that response, also give more details about the transaction history. You can also post a thread of your mis-adventure with ktkoins across the street and then have the posse lynch him -- like he deserves. Then, email him a link of the posse thread.

The power of the people!

EVP

The only problem with this is he can then respond back thus allowing him even more space to write negative comments.

Not to be contrary, but why the heck did you mess with this guy? I'd have sent the roll, even with the underpayment, and then blocked him from further participation in your auctions. Or, I'd also have filed a Non Paying Bidder complaint (three of those and he's kicked off of eBay for good).

I also would be cautious regarding LINKS and/or foul language in feedback display as eBay is hip to this method and could NURU you even after only your first infraction.

Good luck in your quest and I hope you understand why I'd suggest not responding as you did in the future as a contest on eBay only makes you look foolish in the long run.

Hoot

Did the guy outright refuse to send you another dollar? Perhaps he presumed to have sent you the correct amount and through your ongoing emails he became paranoid and thought that you were only trying to get more money out of him!

It all seems silly to me! Why a dollar? Perhaps $50 or even the $20 a buyer owes me I've discussed in another thread but a dollar? Maybe the buyer is a YN? From what I see in his past auctions, the guy has bought alot of rolls of modern coins and a loupe. I also couldn't figure out why the guy only had a 28 feedback but has over 200 buyer auctions. I found the answer to that, he had over 160 auctions with one seller in one day in August and bought a bunch of PCI coins. I sent this guy an email asking him what he thought the problem was. You should get this guys personal info/ phone number through ebay and give him a call. It sounds like a misunderstanding of some sort.

Leo

Well Pat, I messed with this guy because of his non-responsiveness and the overall bad influence he and other like him have on the eBay community. Call me stupid, but I am tired of dealing with such folks or even having them around. I want the world to know that he is intrepid in the world (at least the world of eBay). This is a fundamental ethical question to me, and I have never allowed myself to be controlled by mob mentality, fear, individual threat, complicit passivity, or any other inane acts of human kind. As for this insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I'd like others to know who has placed a bid in their auction or whom they may be buying from. I simply refused to lie down and hide from others what this guy is like.

I do resent the idea that this is a contest. Granted, in the whole of life, this is nothing, or even less. But we participate in life only one little bit at a time. I refuse to participate in ways that leave me wondering where my own sense of self lies. It's better to have lived with conviction and been hated, than to have not and profited from those who did.

Hoot

Leo - He was sent two invoices, two weeks apart. No response. So, I filed a non-payment complaint with eBay (only way to get the fees back). Then he responded with the underpayment. It was absurd and devicive, and I despise deviciveness. Anyhow, I sent him an email explaining the underpayment. No response for a week. So, I filed a SquareTrade complaint to which he responds that he'll pay the dollar. No payment. He lied and I despise liars. So I waited until his time to pay was up and I refunded the money. Then I'm in the dilemma of ethics - do I neg the guy knowing he'll likely be retributional or do I forget it and let others ge screwed unawares? So I neg the guy. That's when he suddenly (five weeks after the auction) becomes responsive to emails. Now, do you truly think that an A-1 A-hole like that deserves any less? How many times have I seen people post that one should not be afraid to neg a person who desperately deserves it?

Look, it's fine to differ in opinion with me and to say that I was too focused over a dollar, but then you're missing the point. The dollar was not at all the focus for me.

BTW, I think his comments in his negative feedback are defensive and clearly retributional. That's fine by me.

Hoot

Hoot

In light of his bad responses, I couldn't agree with you more! The dollar value also reflects his mentality. I would keep the neg! It shows class and it's a great reminder of good business! For the most part, the majority who see the neg and responses will judge it in your favor. If anyone should ask you about it, you just tell them the truth! If they're honest, they'll get a good laugh out of it! I personally suspect sellers with perfect feedback with ebay allowing such removals of unjustfiable negs. But the neg will say something about you and the other party, let them decide! One neg isn't going to bring down "Hoot's Nickel Mania and More" kingdom!

Leo

Well Pat, I messed with this guy because of his non-responsiveness and the overall bad influence he and other like him have on the eBay community. Call me stupid, but I am tired of dealing with such folks or even having them around. I want the world to know that he is intrepid in the world (at least the world of eBay). This is a fundamental ethical question to me, and I have never allowed myself to be controlled by mob mentality, fear, individual threat, complicit passivity, or any other inane acts of human kind. As for this insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I'd like others to know who has placed a bid in their auction or whom they may be buying from. I simply refused to lie down and hide from others what this guy is like.

I do resent the idea that this is a contest. Granted, in the whole of life, this is nothing, or even less. But we participate in life only one little bit at a time. I refuse to participate in ways that leave me wondering where my own sense of self lies. It's better to have lived with conviction and been hated, than to have not and profited from those who did.

Hoot

I can't argue those words. Sound logic! It bums me out though when good guys suffer, somewhat needlessly, with unearned negative feedback, such as your case.

You're one of the good guys.

Only thing I can say is that maybe "negatives" on Ebay should be looked at with more caution. The prevailing attitude seems to be if some seller has a negative then he must be bad. That obviously is not the case so a little more research on said seller may be necessary before casting judgement.

jom

I agree with JOM I have bought regularly on Ebay and I look at the feedback as well. To say that a Seller has one Negative in 800 to 1000 doesn't quite make that Seller a Bad Guy. I also read the detail of the Negative Feedback and judge it from its contents. I have seen Hoots Ebay coins and I feel he is one of the Good Sellers on Ebay. Sometimes we just get a bad hair day buyer. confused-smiley-013.gif

PapaG

Hoot,

When I read the negatives you two exchanged it is quite evident to see who the unreasonable person is. I wouldnt sweat it. If the buck was so trivial, why didnt he just pay it?

hoot i am sorry to hear of this

and your reputation on here and all your positive feedbacks speak for themselves!!

i hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction

good luck and please keep us informed on here of what happens with this situation

michael

Granted, in the whole of life, this is nothing, or even less.

I don't know, it seems to me that the dollar is a metaphor for his moral makeup. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif In that view then, this was an important snapshot.

Thank you to everyone for kind words.

Awww, it's just Hoot. Do we really have to be nice to our resident sasquatch (or, yeti to my folk)?

laugh.gif

EVP

EVP

I tried chewing Hoot out on the dollar thing but then he responds where you need to get the dictionary out, who wants that! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

I'm sorry to hear of your e-bay troubles.

Thank you for putting a red flag on the record of someone who truly deserves it. At least other honest folks will benefit from your actions, he's been added to my blocked bidder list.

frown.gif

-JamminJ

Hoot,

Sorry to see you ran into such a clown. I've been fortunate so far. Luckily , 'coin people' are usually straight shooters. I have a friend that manufactures and sells halloween props. When it comes to the internet, he lives with the 'bottom feeders'.

You must admit, as a whole, we're pretty lucky that way.

Not to worry. Your reputation succeeds you !

Paul

Or perhaps I mean, precedes you !!!

Hoot

Did the guy outright refuse to send you another dollar? Perhaps he presumed to have sent you the correct amount and through your ongoing emails he became paranoid and thought that you were only trying to get more money out of him!

It all seems silly to me! Why a dollar? Perhaps $50 or even the $20 a buyer owes me I've discussed in another thread but a dollar? Maybe the buyer is a YN? From what I see in his past auctions, the guy has bought alot of rolls of modern coins and a loupe. I also couldn't figure out why the guy only had a 28 feedback but has over 200 buyer auctions. I found the answer to that, he had over 160 auctions with one seller in one day in August and bought a bunch of PCI coins. I sent this guy an email asking him what he thought the problem was. You should get this guys personal info/ phone number through ebay and give him a call. It sounds like a misunderstanding of some sort.

Leo

He's definately not a YN just check out his eBay inventory: Link

He'a definately got some money so I don't know why he wouldn't pay a measily $2.35 screwy.gif