• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 5 dollar gold

5 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to send in some coins for grading from my family's collection. You guys helped me out a while back with a Peace Dollar right after my dad passed. I had several opinions between ms65-67. I started to get a feel for what I should be sending to be put in a holder. I have most of the older silver and copper key date stuff ready to go and some higher grade stuff .

Want to get an opinion on this. The price of gold is high. I have a few more earlier half eagles but the opinion on this one will sway me. I have my own guess so I'll see if I'm close. 1914 5 dollar gold Indian Head.

per RB mintage 247,000, 125 Matte Proofs

I know this has sat untouched for 40 years and been in the family probably since around the mint date. looks to me it may have been cleaned prior to 40 years ago there is a couple spots in the details that indicate this to me. There is couple flecks outside the detail points too so I am not sure.

Pics are good color wise. if this new method works (linking to photo bucket).

The coin has slightly more of a luster in person.

Thanks lets see if this works:

http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/Badactor67/library/?sort=3&page=1

THANKS!

Unfortunately the focus of the picture is just a little too soft to grade this coin precisely on the MS scale. I do see two small rim nicks on the reverse below the "P" in "PLURIBUS" and another below that which would preclude any grade greater than MS-61 IMO.

I know I'm more conservative on this that some graders, but as a young collector I got burned a few times for rim problems so I am wary of them. It's the type thing that doesn't matter when you are buying a coin from a dealer, which turns into a mountain when it comes time to sell it.

Here is a $5 Indian that grades MS-64. You might compare the surfaces of this piece with your coin to check for an Mint State grade.

1913HalfEagleO.jpg1913HalfEagleR.jpg

Ya my picture taking skills are not too hot. I have a great system for scanning coins in 1080p on a 30 inch screen that feeds into a spreadsheet (I have macular degeneration) set up the system just for that. But somewhere in decompressing them (at least with this camera) they lose something.

Thanks for the comment. I am fairly new to seriously working at getting into collecting too. So I too am pretty cautious. The rim marks are not rim nicks. Carbon spots? Not sure. The pics were too blurry to tell that. I was thinking AU 55-58 based on the slight marks and the cheek seems to be not as defined from the pic you provided and some others I have seen.

I do like this coin design it's a keeper. My grandmother probably washed it in soap and water if anything. The glimmer off the sharp edges of head dress is pretty cool when you turn it in the light. There is some "bling" to this coin as they used to say.

I may just send this in to NCS and see if they can get the flecs off and the dirt out of the lettering and send it back ungraded and store it properly.

Thanks again!