• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856 Slant 5 Gold Dollar

18 posts in this topic

My guess would be XF45 and about $200.

thanks i got it for 150 dollars think i might have it slabbed !!

That would be a waste of money - keep it raw.

He is saying that because the cost of grading is not going to really increase value really. Be waste of money.

If you have no plans to sell it then having it put in a slab is a good idea.

Personal choice. Mark and I disagree on this a lot. I side with having everything slabbed for sake of the coin and the collection.

My guess would be XF45 and about $200.

thanks i got it for 150 dollars think i might have it slabbed !!

That would be a waste of money - keep it raw.

I agree. Having the coin certified will cost more than the potential added value that will result.

One think that is overlooked in the argument to slab or not is the ability to resell without

getting ripped. If it is slabbed then its pretty hard for a dealer (or buyer) to say "that's not

and XF". If your are a collector then slabbing is a real good idea. You might just pass away

one night and your wife or relative will have to deal with disposal of the collection. By slabbing coins you give them a real head start and protect them as well. Anyone can look

up a coin in numerous publications and get an approximate value if they are sure of the

grade.

slabbing would be 30 right and wouldnt it add about 40 dollars to its value ??

There would likely be a shipping charge involved, too. But even if not, I don't think certification would add anywhere close to $40 value on a coin of that type in that grade.

If, for example, it were a question of whether it might be an MS64 vs. an MS65, that would be a completely different situation and certification would be advised.

One think that is overlooked in the argument to slab or not is the ability to resell without

getting ripped. If it is slabbed then its pretty hard for a dealer (or buyer) to say "that's not

and XF". If your are a collector then slabbing is a real good idea. You might just pass away

one night and your wife or relative will have to deal with disposal of the collection. By slabbing coins you give them a real head start and protect them as well. Anyone can look

up a coin in numerous publications and get an approximate value if they are sure of the

grade.

Exactly

grade.

Exactly

That is often true. However, for a coin of this type and quality, there is relatively little difference in value between various lower circulated grades.

Additionally, the owner can easily leave a note regarding its condition, instead of spending money to have the coin certified. Sure, a few potential buyers might try to rip the coin, but there will be others who will pay a fair price.

Getting gold dollars slabbed would be of more valule for authentication purposes that getting a grade when dealing with coins such as this one which is in a series that is heavily counterfeited.

$30 grading

$8 handling

$12 shipping/insurance

$24 return shipping

---------------------------------------------------

= not worth you trouble. imo

$30 grading

$8 handling

$12 shipping/insurance

$24 return shipping

---------------------------------------------------

= not worth you trouble. imo

Obviously, it would only make sense if this coin were sent in with a lot of other coins. Perhaps a friendly dealer would include it with his next submission.