• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1845 H10C

18 posts in this topic

Toyo, if this was graded in the Star era I believe it received that designation. If not, then it deserves one.

There are a few marks on the coin which might be magnified by the fact the pictures are much larger than the actual coin, most notably on the obverse by the head and the reverse above and below HALF.

These are probably very small and not as distracting as they seem in the large photos. The marks on the reverse may even be part of the die clashing which is more noticeable on the reverse.

For me, 64 although it wouldn't shock me to see it in a 65.

Toyo, if this was graded in the Star era I believe it received that designation. If not, then it deserves one.

There are a few marks on the coin which might be magnified by the fact the pictures are much larger than the actual coin, most notably on the obverse by the head and the reverse above and below HALF.

These are probably very small and not as distracting as they seem in the large photos. The marks on the reverse may even be part of the die clashing which is more noticeable on the reverse.

+1

Is it just me or are the marks on the reverse actually a die clash? I'm in whole hearted agreement that this should be a Star coin. Great colors on both sides of this little gem.

I think MS 65* and maybe better if the chatter on the reverse is really die clashing. Awesome coin!

Todd

I don't see how the marks on the reverse could be die clashing. The diagonal angles don't match up with the obverse devices. There is a clash that does match, bottom right central reverse/seated liberty pole. The diagonal marks appear to be post mint.

MS64 Star.

Carl

This is the 3rd time I post the image of this coin on this board.

When I first posted, is was NGC MS61

Other than a faint line above the letter HALF, I didn't find much distraction on the surface(most of the "mark" you see are clash marks) so I craked out the slab and sent it to NGC, hoping it would grade at least MS64.

The second time I posted the coin on this board, it was in a bodybag(AT)

And now, it's MS66 and yes, it's in NGC holder.

Can you believe it?

I guess I'm the skunk in the room because I don't care for this coin. I don't think that the color is original if it looks the same in person as it does in the holder. At MS-66 this coin is beyond maxed out so far as the grade is concerned. Cracking it out for an up-grade would be very foolhardy in my opinion.

I guess I'm the skunk in the room because I don't care for this coin. I don't think that the color is original if it looks the same in person as it does in the holder. At MS-66 this coin is beyond maxed out so far as the grade is concerned. Cracking it out for an up-grade would be very foolhardy in my opinion.

Sorry Bill your opinion here really stinks !! :grin:

I wouldn't even begin to question the color. I, however, feel the coin should be in a 64* holder, but there must be less marks on the coin than I'm seeing.

I wouldn't even begin to question the color. I, however, feel the coin should be in a 64* holder, but there must be less marks on the coin than I'm seeing.

I believe you're seeing almost entirely die clash marks, rather than post-strike man-made flaws.

if you got an ms 66 already why mess with it? jmo

The owner didn't say anything about doing anything else with it ("mess with it") after it graded MS66.

I believe you're seeing almost entirely die clash marks, rather than post-strike man-made flaws.

Certainly noted the clash marks, but it still looks like there are stray nicks in the fields. Could be on the holder though.