• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a variety worth getting a cleaned coin slabbed 1847 Seated Liberty Quarter

3 posts in this topic

I have had this coin for quite some time and have never sent it in for grading since I was certain that it was polished, however I just recently noticed that it has a Variety that has a NGC Population of only 1

From the preface write up I understand that this 1847 is not very scarce until you reach the higher MS state when it becomes a R6 or so. This, of-course, would not ever be a MS coin.

If I sent this coin in to be graded:

1.) If it receives a details holder can the attribution still be affixed to the label?

2.) Is there anyone knowledgeable in the Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar Varieties enough to let me know if there would be a market for a XF/AU Details Slabbed 1847 with the a fore mentioned variety?

Now....On to my pictures. And in the words of John Mellencamp "The best I could do".

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1847SeatedLibertQuarterDollar.png

1847SeatedLibertQuarterDollar2.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks.

Rob, here's one for you to consider. I searched and found this one on Heritage. If I were a collector of the coin and looking for a circulated version I would prefer this coin. It sold for $126 or so with the juice. Is that worth slabbing? Most say not to slab unless the coin is worth at least $200.

FS-301 link

Yeah I saw that one but that is about all that I saw that has that MPD FS-301

I saw some details slabbed coins on eBay and they were asking quit a premium even though they were details graded. But they had one thing in common; they were ones that had a variety that was not on the label. Not saying they will get what they are asking but who knows. Maybe they will.

I did find a NGC Details Slab with the variety noted on the label so I have answered my first question and you may have answered the second. The only way it would be worthwhile I believe is if it could be AU details with the variety but I don't see that happening. And I agree with the $200.00 cut off for getting coins graded with a few exceptions.

It would seem as though a coin that holds a variety that only one has been attributed at NGC (not saying it is the only one in existence but only one attributed) should have some value even in a details holder. Value to a collector that searches for that kind of stuff. Maybe they are few and far between.