• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting a grade opinion

12 posts in this topic

this site used to be a good place for a newbie collector to get an opinion on a grade of coin that he or she had purchased or was thinking about purchasing. Now it seems like unless you have a title like lets nuke this seller or was this seller trying to rip me off or is this counterfeit ,you rarely get any feedback at all on normal coin posts. It is kind of discouraging actually I almost forgot to mention the ms state morgan posts. Those also get lots of play.

I've been at collecting just over a year and finally worked up the courage to post something a couple weeks ago and only got two replies.

I fully realized the 1820/19 1C I posted was not a high grade or highly desirable, but I did want to know if the grade I had assigned (from the knowledge I've been learning from these boards and reading) was at least somewhat accurate.

Belatedly I thank you jwc!

You and MarkT were the only two to comment.

Apologies for having not thanked you then but I figured if I posted thanks in my thread it would get pushed back to the top and well, obviously no one had much interest.

-D

I think you all are looking at this the wrong way. Here are my thoughts:

(1) There are several posters, myself included, who do not check their messages or post every day leading to a lower contribution rate at various times corresponding to personal and professional commitments. While I know that I am busy, I am sure that this is particularly true with a lot of the dealers and professionals (i.e. true experts) who probably have even more going on than I do.

(2) There are several posts where I do not leave comments because I do not think the photographs are of good enough quality to offer an opinion based on anything more than pure speculation. I also question the worth of a response. There have been some where the photos are poor so that enormous grade ranges are possible (e.g. anything from AU through MS64, etc.). How helpful are those posts to the original posters?

I'm also sure it becomes boring to see most posts prefaced with "I would have to see it in hand" or "the images are lacking." I know that I don't want to sound like a broken record. Second, when poor quality photos are posted and some posters question the originality of a piece, then the poster is often accused of being too tough or overly blunt. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think it may have to do with the position this area is located on the home page, it used to be closer to the top of the page but now its lower and many perhaps do not scroll down as often.

One thing you have to consider is the fact there are certain people who feel more comfortable commenting on certain series of coins. I myself am not familiar with large cents, gold and well, a lot of series I just don't collect so I really don't have the expertise in offering a grade.

Also, there are posters here, not saying you are one or not, that put up links to photos instead of uploading a photo here or using a host site like photobucket. I don't like clicking on links and many others might feel the same way. So unless a person shows me a pic straight up, I normally won't go looking for it.

These are just my personal thoughts.

put up links to photos instead of uploading a photo here or using a host site like photobucket. I don't like clicking on links and many others might feel the same way. So unless a person shows me a pic straight up, I normally won't go looking for it.

X2

I don't like the links either.

this site used to be a good place for a newbie collector to get an opinion on a grade of coin that he or she had purchased or was thinking about purchasing. Now it seems like unless you have a title like lets nuke this seller or was this seller trying to rip me off or is this counterfeit ,you rarely get any feedback at all on normal coin posts. It is kind of discouraging actually I almost forgot to mention the ms state morgan posts. Those also get lots of play.

You probably wont like this response, but......

I think you exaggerated considerably, and that in a good number iof cases, posters seeking grade opinions receive quite a few replies.

There are, however, a number of instances in which they do not. Reasons might include: poor images, lack of interest, lack of knowledge, slow times on the forum, etc.

i neither like or dislike your response Mark. I do think what I said was not exaggerated. Certain topics or types of coins get much more interest than others. Anything to do with counterfeit coins or shady dealers or super high grade coins get much more attention and interest than more common coins that new collectors might post. Look at the listing the first person to respond to this thread mentioned. Posted it 8-4 with 2 responses. Do you think with this being his first try at posting here that he will want to post more coins? I doubt it. As far as posting links to coin pics if that is the only image one has since they might need even taken delivery of the coin, I don't think its that difficult to click on a link and take a peek. Just my thoughts.

JWC, the thing with links and a new poster. It could be spam or a link to a virus.

JWC and Dadams... welcome to the boards and don't give up. This is a rather nice crowd here who will tell you the good, bad or the ugly of your coin. You may not like the opinion given but it will be a good one and good advice.