• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first experience with a registry …

5 posts in this topic

I have just completed entering my first and probably only set into a registry.

I am a full time dealer, but I am still a dedicated collector. Since I’ve been a dealer I have been building a type set of the “old” commemorative silver coins. There’s nothing fancy here. The coins are all NGC and PCGS graded, and they range from MS-63 to MS-66. The coins are pieces that I LIKE, and at times I discarded a higher grade coin to my sales inventory when I ran across a coin that I liked better in a lower grade holder. I guess you would call that “registry suicide.”

My set of 50 type coins got me to #10 on the NGC list. I did feel the bug a little to add some varieties, but I have no interest in upgrading any but a couple of coins, which are of special interest to me like the Delaware, because it was my home state. The set pleases me and that’s what counts.

I did take pictures and posted them of all the coins, which is quite a lot of work. I took close-ups of all the coins and did not show the slabs. That seems to be against the grain, but to me it’s the coin that counts, not the slab. I’ve been a collector for over 40 years, and I guess I’m old fashioned in that respect.

Well if you would like to look at my registry set, it is under BillJones in the Commemorative 1892 – 1954 part of the registry. I would happy to answer any questions for those of you are working on a commemorative set and any other U.S. coins for that matter.

Great job of taking the time to scan, and I agree with you that close-ups of the coin is much better than a scan of a slab where the coin can't be seen.

Really like the Columbian and the Missouri. Adore the Huguenot as well.

If you want to compete as strictly the 50 coin set, NGC does have that set as well, except that it is listed under the Type Sets category instead of the commem category. I have a very slowly building set in that one.

• Administrator

Note that if you are entering the same coins in a new set in a different set type, you can use the "Automatically Build Best Set" function to instantly build the set from coins you have already registered. And because we store the coin records the way we do, your coin descriptions and pictures will be right there in the new set.

Arch

Thanks for the suggestion. I just put my set in the type area as well. I kept seeing a commemorative type set category, but did not know how to access it.

I'm a big type collector too, but I've got a lot certifications to do because of all the stuff I purchased 10 to 30 years ago that is still raw. I've started the process for some of the collection, but it's a lot $$ that I could be spending on coins.

Only thing that is kind is disappointing is that AU-58s don't get more credit for the early coins. Many of them are better than most MS-60 coins so far as I'm concerned, but they only count as "AU." I've got an 1853 $10 gold in NGC AU-58. The only coin that I have seen that I liked better for the type was an MS-64 that had a price tag of close to $30K.

I'm surprised that the early gold coins do not have a place in the type sets. I have an 1804, 14 star reverse $2.50 gold in PCGS AU-50, but there's no place to register it. I have the early $5 and $10 too, but they are raw.

I'm surprised that the early gold coins do not have a place in the type sets

Bill,

The initial gold type set started with the 1830's because the earlier material is so difficult to obtain. That set has been around for a long time, so maybe with more collector interest, NGC will add a set that can spotlight the earliest gold pieces as well.