• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Looking 1964 (P) Kennedy Half Dollar posted by 00001AAA Coins

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Blind Eagle and Almost no E PLURIBUS UNUM - Is it worth anything more than the price of Silver?

Bought a bunch of 1964 P&D Mint Sets cheap and was looking through the coins for the usual Full Torch (FT) Dimes or Jefferson Nickels with actual steps. I always find a few worth submitting to NGC to make my money back. Anyway I was looking through the Kennedy Half Dollars and found a very odd looking Philadelphia minted coin.

This 1964 (P) Kennedy Half Dollar looks awful, but it is still in the Mint packaging. The face on the Eagle is gone as is some of the upper part of the shield. Nearly all of the E PLURIBUS UNUM and a few feathers on the right wing are also gone. There is also damage to the ear and hair of Kennedy. Is this just quality control gone bad or is there something more here? I just don't know enough about error coins to know if this is worth something or just the melt value of 900 Silver.

Hopefully someone out there knows more about these sort of errors. It looks like part of the die was damaged that made this strike.

14168.jpg

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

I've been collecting KENNEDYS for 45 years and I've never seen anything like it. That being said, If it's still in the mint cello, that's a plus. In terms of verifying it's a mint error or just a weak strike. If it's a mint error it would be worth far more than if it was a weak strike. In either case, it's my opinion, it would be worth more than just melt value.

This looks like a classic example of a "Strike Through" the error. In this case material that was struck through was grease, placed in the die to extend die life and facilitate planchet movement through the coining process. This is one of the most common types of strike through error's and as such usually does not care he is significant premium. I hope this doesn't burst your bubble.

JTO

Past President

Sacramento Valley Coin Club