• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why different cut off dates? posted by ken bond

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

PCGS & NGC different cut off dates on first strike & early release for the same set?

I Bought the 2013 west point silver eagle sets on the first hour they went on sale,We all know how that worked out!(or do we?)Anyway,I received mine on the 24th,the original cut off date for NGC for Early release,figuring i can still send them in the original sealed box.As it turns out NGC extended the cut off date to 9-16-13,(not sure that's a good thing)?!

I was checking out the PCGS website to see if they also extended their cut off date,To my surprise not only are they not extending their cut off date,But it ended on July 19th.

So why the difference on the cut off dates??

See more journals by ken bond

Hi Ken,

You got 2 different companies that that operate differently is about how I see it. Have you given each a call and ask them about their cut off dates? If you find out any specifics, please share.

Jeffrey

Ken,

I would imagine the extension was to accompany the wait some collectors needed to get their sets. As to the difference in extension for the dates would simply be corporate decisions.

Rick

Ken,

I would imagine the extension was to accompany the wait some collectors needed to get their sets. As to the difference in extension for the dates would simply be corporate decisions.

Rick

This, and this is one of the reasons that I think the first strike designations are worthless. True first strikes, defined as those that are the first to come off of the set of dies, sometimes do garner a premium especially if they have certain qualities characteristic of a coin produced by new dies. The services, however, apply this to any coin submitted by an arbitrary deadline. It could be the first coin off of the die or the 5,000th one of of the dies - it doesn't matter.