• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on this 1799 Heraldic Eagle "Update New pictures Added

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I need some second opinions about this 1799. This is a nice dollar except someone took a knife or sharp edge and scared the dollar between her lips and down her front. This damage is not visible with the eye but under loop it is obvious. How much would you knock off from this coin for the damage?

1799_zps7819a0b6.jpg

1799aa_zps6879ea11.jpg

Thanks

Image31_zps631041fc.jpg

Image32_zps5163a9dc.jpg

Based on the thread title, I thought I would be reading about a $10 gold piece ("Eagle"), not a Dollar. ;)

That aside, I don't see obvious damage in the image, and if it takes magnification to detect it, the negative impact on the coin's value might be minimal.

I see what I think you are talking about, and based on the images, I'm not entirely sure that is damage. Sometimes on these coins, you will get a shelf-like secondary image in front of the bust, and that can (believe it or not) actually add a premium to the coins. The coin I have posted below shows this effect:

1823obv2.jpg

Whatever damage there is, it seems to have been toned over fairly nicely. If it were fresh, sharp and bright that would be another matter.

The coin grades VG-10 to Fine-12. As such one would expect the pieces to have some marks and scratches at this level of use. The piece appears not to have been cleaned which is a big plus because many of these coins have been brighten over years by people who didn't know any better or ethically challenged dealers who wanted to make the coin "more saleable."

I'd say that if you can pick it up for Fine money you would be okay.

Look at his enlarged pictures. That is damage not MD.

His enlarged pictures were not available when I posted. Now that I see them, it is quite clearly scratches. They are minor and shouldn't detract from the value too severely, but they will detract some.

Look at his enlarged pictures. That is damage not MD.

these pics were posted AFTER most comments were posted. i could not see any damage in the first 2 (smaller) pics...