• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 Mercury Dime Toner, Please Guess the Grade (GRADE REVEALED)

22 posts in this topic

The title says it all. Please guess the grade and strike designation, if any. Also, please feel free to share your thoughts on the toning. The coin is in an old PCI green labeled holder from the early 1990s. I intend to cross this coin.

(Seller's photographs)

DSC_0048_zpsf68eb55a.jpg

DSC_0049_zps068608f3.jpg

Color looks weird because the white balance is more like the yellow balance. If it looks in hand how I think it looks in hand, then it is probably a very attractive (and natural) coin.

Grade is going to be 66? Maybe 66+ if the luster is nice.

This coin is definitely not FSB. It would not even get it at PCGS.

Great eye appeal. I would say the coin has a good shot at a star. My first opinion is a 66, the obverse is nicer the the reverse. Multiple hits on the fasces are the worst which aren't horrible.

Great eye appeal. I would say the coin has a good shot at a star. My first opinion is a 66, the obverse is nicer the the reverse. Multiple hits on the fasces are the worst which aren't horrible.

I'm in complete agreement with Coindude - the toning is very attractive on both sides of this coin - it doesn't appear to have faded to "black" in any area and a spectrum of colors exist on this piece - an above average chance at Star status. My initial hunch, prior to reading everyone's posts, was an MS 66 *. As Coindude said multiple hits on the fasces is the main detractor - including a rather large ding in the upper bands - which keeps this piece at 66 for me. The toning is over the top and probably even nicer in hand.

Great score and a PCI slab I would have bought too!

Todd

Thank you all for confirming my belief that this coin was undergraded. I wanted to make sure that ownership wasn't adding a few points for me. ;) I agree with you all regarding the strike designation.

In response to some of the comments posted, the photos are spot on with regards to the strike and contact marks. The luster is even stronger in hand. The white balance is off as was mentioned, but the color is close and in hand it does look natural and attractive to me.

Now for the fun part. As I had mentioned to in a few recent threads, I believe that there are still very nice coins in PCI holders despite the fact that the grading became inflated in subsequent years, and that treasures can still be found. This was an excellent example, and I do hope to submit it in the near future and I will update this thread. PCI called this MS64 FB PQ; the PQ was very similar to the plus designation awarded by PCGS and NGC currently.

DSC_0051_zps59c76cf3.jpg

DSC_0055_zps554a3a74.jpg

PCI gave Out a Star Designation ?? I did not know this. Add a Star to my MS 67 grade.

No, I was just guessing that the coin had been (re)graded by NGC. Sorry. ;)

I stand by what I said and I am still stuck between 65-66 (That cheek; those darn cheeks!) but could never see a 64 out of it. Be pretty surprised by not getting gem.

Not seeing FB here but you have it hand-what do you think?

That coin should cross at NGC with no less than a 66 and a star .

Bands don’t look split – you have it in hand is the picture deceiving us ??

That coin should cross at NGC with no less than a 66 and a star .

Bands don’t look split – you have it in hand is the picture deceiving us ??

The bands are slightly sharper in hand, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a strike designation.

With regards to the coin, what do you all think about submission of the coin? PCGS or NGC for this coin? PCGS tends to bump up more for color than NGC (in my opinion and experience anyway), but doesn't have the star designation. PCGS is also more lenient on the strike designation (but I don't think that's really going to matter with this coin either way).