• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG RISK???? posted by Eagles-R-it

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

TAKING THE PLUNGE TOGETHER.

Well, my fellow members I took the chance that I hope will pan out. My wife and I decided to go all in and order the Reverse Proof Buffalo. I said we could cancel between now and shipping time or return it when we get it if not pleased. This is a very big step for us, as we are getting up in life and retirement is upon us, so not sure if this will pay off in the next few yrs.

What do you think Members? Was it wise or stupid, I know wise if we come out ahead and stupid if we lose money. The mint is not putting up numbers for total sales, so this will indeed be a shoot.

I always can try to get it certified in hopes of bringing in more value. I do have some free coupons for certifying.

As always friends, thanks.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

IMHO If you and your wife like the coin and if it has no apparent flaws. I'd send it in for grading. one reason is as a raw coin it will always be worth no more than scrap prices as a ms 69 or 70 the price could skyrocket.

I have a 1986 nickel ngc graded ms 70 the full market value on this coin as of today is $2750.00 it has a ngc population of 9. I have no idea how many pcgs has graded at ms 70 but it could not be more than a dozen.

Like you said you have coupons for free grading so there is no grading fee and if you get a low grade you can always remove it from its holder and have the raw coin again.

Again all of this is just IMHO

Happy Collecting and may God Bless...Mike

IMO, gold will increase in value from current levels. Most people when you sell, especially if it is thru an auction house, will want the coin graded to buy or sell it.So you may as well grade it now. I recently read a story in this weeks Numismatic News where a collector was grousing about signing with an un-named auction house to sell his raw coins. He felt they cherry picked his collection and then let it go for a fraction of the remaining value. He was alos hit with grading fees that he said was buried in fine print.

I think being in NGC/PCGS plastic does give the buyer a level of comfort with the genuine guarantee from PCGS/NGC. I don't know about ANACS or other TPG's.

In 2009 I bought the Ultra High Relief Double Eagle directly from the mint at $1189 when it first went up for sale. I have since had it graded at MS-69 by NGC. I periodically check the auction prices on it and find that I can still sell it at a healthy profit. Of course gold is still higher than it was then, but its much lower than it was even a year ago. IMO with gold this low I see some upward mobility for the reverse proof buffalo. What ever you decide I wish you all the best.

Gary

Guest Golddog3

I really do not seeing the Reverse Buffalo increasing significantly. It is a very nice coin and I would send it in for grading if it looks good in hand. If it comes back as a 69 - I sell it quick. If it comes back as a 70 - I'd hold onto it. I bought one - so I'm taking the same gamble.

I'd say it really depends on how many they end up selling. With these items that have unlimited mintages within a four-week window, it's definitely a bigger risk financially because almost anyone who has any desire to own the coin will likely order one. Look at the 2013 West Point Silver Eagles. But, because the price tag on this baby is so high, you might be ok in the long run. Right now, I'd say it's a big case of wait and see. As for myself, my big purchase from the US Mint this year was the Platinum Eagle, which is just lovely, expensive and overshadowed by the very coin we are discussing here........so that one may just be a winner!! But good luck to you as well!

I think if your primary interest in coins is for investment then you should be good buying gold. You may have to hold on to it longer than you wanted to though, considering you are buying it from the US mint.

If I were going to buy a gold coin for investment purposes I would get the .99999 canada gold coin as it is the highest purity coin I can think of, and of course very popular.

In the end it boils down to collect what you like and like what you collect.

Also WMfielding meant PF70 instead of MS70 on his '86 nickel. :banana:

The problem is always the same now. You can expect that the U.S. Mint will sell a very large number of these coins. They will all be 69 or 70 coins. If you buy a coin from the Mint and have it graded it only pays if the coin is a 70. Even then you can expect many other 70 coins to be available in the market. The goal is to sell any 69 coin as soon as possible while the market is hot and hold on to any 70 coin in hopes the price will rise. If you want to bet on the future price of gold there are better value coins that can be purchased.