• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about slabbed NGC coin that is graded VF but improperly Cleaned

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I have a real nice example of a 1800 Heraldic 1 Dollar. The coin is NGC slabbed VF details with Improperly cleaned. Looking at the coin it indeed has been cleaned albeit a long time ago and one that is in my opinion not horribly distracting. My question is what kind of discount would this have from the non cleaned VF priced coin.

IMAG0430_zpscb542797.jpg

IMAG0430111_zps76752b73.jpg

IMAG0431_zps69dd3c29.jpg

The coin appears to polished although that is an educated guess from the photo. The rule of thumb is that you usually drop down at least one grade for a problem like this. So you start with pricing this like a Fine.

The thing you must remember is that some collectors would rather have a no problem Fine than this coin. Therefore this coin is not easy to sell in view of the fact that you are probably looking for a four figure price. The price range in the $1,100 to $1,400 area wholesale.

agreed around a grand in value

bleach toning would "improve" THIS COIN

I might like Ms. Liberty as a bleach blond, wonder how she'd look in a Brazilian blow out?

To the OP, trust Bill Jones on this one.

I don't know these coins but as is that one looks like it's at the high end of VF. If the little luster I see among the stars near the "Y" in Liberty is there and balanced it might not be as hard to sell.

A hundred years ago people thought cleaning their coins was the right thing to do. It's just the way things are.

Still, a nice coin.

...... no doubt. It has great detail and would fit nicely in a type set. As much as I love an original toned coin, there are still many collectors on eBAY and checking out the local stores who want a shiney white coin. I've shown some of my favorite coins with toning to non collectors and many will say " my, that would look really nice if it wasn't so tarnished !" GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u