• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My most recent half dollar box.... is this a Monster?

17 posts in this topic

monster half dollar box ???

I've seen and picked up, for just a few seconds, a 'Green Monster Box' of Silver Eagles, but I don't know what a monster box of Kennedy halves is, enlighten me.

They come in $500 boxes, so 1000 coins total.

When I did CRH (up until 3 years ago) my record box had 313 silver coins, 141 of which were 40% silver and 172 were 90%. This was in 2007.

Treasurenet forums have a message board dedicated to coin roll hunting, try to go to the first (oldest) posts there and you'll see real monster boxes..

Although I have to say for 2013, that's a very nice box. Silver dried up a lot in the last few years. Very cool finds!

Geez, I live in a small town which = small banks. I have never even seen box of halves!

I barely see rolls of halves anymore but I have scored quite a few 64's and 40%ers in the past.

I get tons of wheats and silver Washington's though and that's only because the tellers save them for me...

Yonico OMG. Please link me.

Click here to go to the forum

Just so you know, it's not a one time luck. I used to go through $5,000 of halves and $2500 of dimes every week.

It's just that TD bank got a little stricter with the coin return machines, and they have me a hard time, plus silver dried up, so I stopped.

My negative record was 21 boxes straight with not even one silver coin, btw

Geez, I live in a small town which = small banks. I have never even seen box of halves!

I barely see rolls of halves anymore but I have scored quite a few 64's and 40%ers in the past.

I get tons of wheats and silver Washington's though and that's only because the tellers save them for me...

I live in NY and I had to order boxes specially to get halves. Not all banks would let me.

Btw, in my experience, small banks in small towns were actually better for me. I once hit a small bank in south New Jersey that had 2 boxes of half Dollars laying in the safe sealed since 1987 (there's a seal with date on them) and they were great. I got 6 SOLID 1969 rolls out of there. And also customer wrapped rolls are good.

I had one rule: buy ALL the half dollars the bank has. Even just $3 in halves or as much as $3,000. You never know. And you want them to know that you take it ALL, then they sometimes keep halves for you rather than send them back ...

Good luck!

They can order them from the headquarters branch, which in turn gets them from the federal reserve. Small banks in rural towns are also good. Even when full boxes are not available, I have had some success. Around 2009, I picked up three rolls of Kennedy Half Dollars with 7 90% silver (including one Franklin), and 7 40% silver coins. This was the last time that I actually did it, sadly, as I became too busy with my university studies.

Last time I did a box, it was actually a clear heavy duty plastic bag. Your haul is VERY GOOD although I found better results by asking for ROLLS.

Great Haul!

Don't the bankers check this stuff themselves? Seems pretty obvious why you would ask them to save halves for you.

Just sayin........

Some tellers do. BUT

most of the tellers have a coin tray on their desk where they hold loose coins that come in. So I always look at the tray and if I spot a silver edge, I ask to buy all the halves in the tray, and they CANNOT say no. If they do, call a manager.

Also, if they have rolls of halves, they CANNOT refuse to sell them to to you. I bought 1 silver eagle, 1 1921 morgan, and 2 or 3 beat up peace dollars, as well as 40% Ike's and many many silver halves off of teller's trays.

Unless they but them off the drawer in the middle of the day, you can have them. I think if they do, they usually do that at the end of the day just before they count.

Also, many tellers only know of the pre-1965 silver, and are not aware to the fact that all halves pre-1971 have silver in them. I did get the "there's nothing good in there" from tellers, just to find some 40%ers in a roll.. Just have to be lucky.

a few years back at the biggest local bank i used to make out very well very roll had franklins or walking liberty or a load of 40 percent and 90 percent 1964 kennedys !! but about 2 years ago it dropped right off no if it get a half roll it is for fun and usually dosent yield squat !! so hey nice finds !!

I recieve a great deal of..........sterling silver Washington's.......

Sterling silver is .925 fine. Washie's are .900 fine.

Chris