• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need your expert help posted by wmfielding

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

SMS VS MINT SETS

Hello my fellow collectors,

I need you help please. From 2007 thru 2010 the US Mint made SMS mint sets along with regular mint sets. I can not tell the difference between the 2 there is nothing on the sets telling you if it's SMS or a regular mint set. so how is one to tell the difference. Thank you in advance for your help.

Happy Collecting and my God Bless....Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

Rick is correct- which makes for a dilemma for those purists who want to have a complete set of uncirculated business strike coins. Just like form 1965 to 1967 when the special mint set coins were not really business strike coins, I feel the need to search out UNC business strike coins for 2005-2010. I pick some of these up at my local dealer for between .40 and 1.00 whenever he has some available. Sure you can pull some nice coins out of change but technically they are not uncirculated. Just for fun see how many 2009 nickels and dimes you find in change these days. Supposedly a lot of them were sent to Puerto Rico for use there. I know I am buying coins that really have no collector value now, but I don’t want to have to overpay even more for them 20 years later. They did not make mint sets in 1982 and 1983, just some souvenir sets that they sold at the mint. Those go for 60-80 dollars if you can ever see one available. Check the prices on what some of these 1982-1983 UNC coins sell for on EBay, especially UNC quarters. A truly UNC 1983 P quarter sells for 20-30 dollars if you can even find one. Even a 1983 UNC dime goes for 5-10 dollars. Oh how I wish I would have gone to the bank and pick up rolls of dimes, nickels and quarters back in 82-83. I could supplement my coin purchases very nicely with the profits from selling them as single coins now!!