• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now that HRH is getting credit for this "idea"...

12 posts in this topic

I recall about 2 years ago suggesting that registry sets be created for date collectors, e.g. buffalo nickels of 1913-38 with all dates, but no Mint mark requirement. (I made the post on both the NGC and CU boards.) I also recall having a reply from NGC that this was "something in the works" or "something being considered," or some such thing. Well now HRH has put the idea out on the CU boards for everybody's cosideration. Linky

I know that this is not a new idea for the registries (because I, too, thought of it a while back, and others must have as well). Also, I ripped the idea from the history books since it's the "old way" that many people formed sets. But I've always liked the idea and it's basically how I'm forming my Bison bison set of buffalo nickels (although I'm including all date/mm combinations of 1913 and 1930-38).

Is this an idea that has finally come into its own? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

I really like the idea..... I think that you should only need one coin from each year, but the different mint marks would still count differently... nice Idea... and they always try and steal the thunder ...lol

I don't think it will spread here - the Registry doesn't seem to be getting too much attention.

And then there's THIS SET. It is absolutely out to lunch that one of the finest sets on the Registry remains partially scored after several years. You would think that the staff would bend over backwards to show the set in all its glory - particularly since it meets the ol' unwritten 51% NGC coin rule to be eligible for a Registry Award! wink.gif

It might seem that this post is a bit harsh, but is it really? There's about 10 posts per month on this side of the street regarding the Registry. I've been bringing the above set up for several years now and nothing's been done about it. The Registry is littered with sets that have been sold off or broken up. Can it be that the Registry concept is dead and dying here? Or simply on the backburner.....

I have to agree with you, TDN. it seems like other things have taken precedence at NGC. Updating registry scores is just the beginning of NGC showing greater "registry presence."

I'd say this even if I hadn't won a Reg award last year... The registry awards seemed to languish. PCGS publishes their registry awards in (at least) Coin World, which gives them more exposure, and likely improves their image and participation. I wish that NGC would do the same. They should also get announced in the Numismatist. It's simply good PR. Perhaps they should also get announced at a major show - e.g., FUN and/or the first major ANA show of the year. Also, one of the bits of recognition promised was an icon of special note next to the award winners' sets. This never appeared. It would also highlight the "participation factor" and have more people vying for top slots.

These things and an improved "registry presence" by NGC would improve participation, I believe. There simply needs to be more PR. The CU registry is announced in ads on regular occasion as a major highlight. NGC's ads mention their registry, but don't seem to go after it as a major focal point. crazy.gif I'd like to see this change, as I believe the NGC registries are superior in many ways.

Hoot

• Administrator

Actually, we've just completed a pretty siginificant overhaul of the data side of the registry system that clears the way for some pretty exciting variety sets. The difficulty of allowing the same coin into two different sets but to score it differently in each one (depending on whether the variety was acknowledged or not) was a pretty fundamental change.

We've added the automatic look-up up NGC coincs so that they instantly add to the set instead of having to wait for an admin to handle it, and we've significantly sped up the processing of PCGS coins. We've also cut the number of screens necessary to create sets, greatly simplifying that process, and the total number of sets in our system continues to grow and close the gap versus the earlier-established PCGS system.

There's still lots of attention being paid to the registry, but I agree that more PR and set definitions would be highly desirable, and efforts are in motion in that regard. You may have noticed the post advertising for an open position to add to the staff for administering the registry.

Arch

Actually, we've just completed a pretty siginificant overhaul of the data side of the registry system that clears the way for some pretty exciting variety sets. The difficulty of allowing the same coin into two different sets but to score it differently in each one (depending on whether the variety was acknowledged or not) was a pretty fundamental change.

We've added the automatic look-up up NGC coincs so that they instantly add to the set instead of having to wait for an admin to handle it, and we've significantly sped up the processing of PCGS coins. We've also cut the number of screens necessary to create sets, greatly simplifying that process, and the total number of sets in our system continues to grow and close the gap versus the earlier-established PCGS system.

There's still lots of attention being paid to the registry, but I agree that more PR and set definitions would be highly desirable, and efforts are in motion in that regard. You may have noticed the post advertising for an open position to add to the staff for administering the registry.

Arch

Thanks Arch - your efforts have been quite important. You know we just can't let these things go! wink.gif I know that being understaffed has hurt the process. Perhpas PR will get ramped up when everything is functioning to your satisfaction.

We goad because we want the NGC registries to reflect everything in the best possible way! grin.gif

Hoot

You may have noticed the post advertising for an open position to add to the staff for administering the registry.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I maintain two sets here. The dollar denomination type set, because it's not offered elsewhere, and the Seated Dollar set - because I like to see how it's scored vs across the street. Since I use both Registries often, I can see that each have advantages and disadvantages. The upgrades Arch mentioned are fantastic - keep working on those advantages! wink.gif

Hoot,

I think many people come up with very good ideas or suggestions, which HRH later originates, LOLOL.

Example: A couple years ago or so, I wrote HRH telling him of my idea for an Early -S- Mint short set of Morgans for their registry which would consist of the 1878-S thru 1882-S. He wrote me back thanking me for my interest, but they would not be employing that set anytime soon.

About 6-7 weeks later I was looking at the PCGS registry and LOW AND BEHOLD.... they just introduced a new Early -S- mint short set in the Morgan dollar registry, imagine that!!

Hoot,

I think many people come up with very good ideas or suggestions, which HRH later originates, LOLOL.

Example: A couple years ago or so, I wrote HRH telling him of my idea for an Early -S- Mint short set of Morgans for their registry which would consist of the 1878-S thru 1882-S. He wrote me back thanking me for my interest, but they would not be employing that set anytime soon.

About 6-7 weeks later I was looking at the PCGS registry and LOW AND BEHOLD.... they just introduced a new Early -S- mint short set in the Morgan dollar registry, imagine that!!

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

And like I said, I ripped the idea from the history books! 27_laughing.gif

Hoot

One thing you learn in business if you want to be successful is to listen to suggestions on how to improve your company not only from your employees, but most assuredly from your customers. The real measure of a manager is to figure out which ones make sense, how to best implement them and knowing when to stick to your guns and not change something.

For every change across the street to the Registry, there is always a vocal group that wonders why they can't have there's too. Some of those suggestions make sense, some quite frankly are silly. The idea of dates sets, I believe is a good idea.