• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin auction scams

3 posts in this topic

I have gone to a few coin auctions in the past but lately there is a certain company where they have sold coins with incorrect listings and some possibly counterfeit.

Here is the link http://www.northeastauctioneers.com/comingauctions.html

I am not trying to bash the company or make them look bad. They do sell some nice coins but last year I bought a "1947 PDS Mint Set" for around $500. It was listed as a "1947 PDS Mint set" in multiple listings. (with the retail being 1500 I knew something was wrong. After realizing I made the mistake of buying some thrown together coins in a set I contacted the company and they said. "It isn't our fault, you buy at your own risk and need to look at the coins better before buying anything." Being said I was upset but on a mission to not let it happen to others. You live and learn. I have followed the auctions and suspicious coins have popped up. several times. They sold a 1921 Morgan Dollar as a 1921 Peace Dollar and the coin had to be re auctioned off later on. (How does that happen?) There is an 1877 Indian Head that I believe to be suspicious in an upcoming auction and I would like others in the forum to look at it and voice their opinion. There is no reverse shown but here is the link

http://www.northeastauctioneers.com/Auctions/August%208th,%202013%20-%20Coin%20Auction.html

I will probably go to the auction and look at the coin. The reverse of the coin should help.

Once again I'm not trying to bash the company but I want people to know more about this kind of stuff and I would like to learn more as well. Thank you to all.

139894.jpg.5fd40f444ed436ee1abba38d7dfeb889.jpg

When it comes to this type of venue unless you can not see the coins in hand its better to only consider the slabbed material, assuming the pics are decent. The only exception is if your able to cherry a rare varity.