• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my 1925 lexington concord commemorative 50c

9 posts in this topic

I think most of your responses are going to be geared toward the fact your pics need to be much better to give a meaningful grade. Also being as it is graded by NTC you will be lucky if it is a problem free coin.

Welcome to the boards

Jim

It doesn't look MS67 or even MS65 to me for that matter. I think I see what could be a patch of hairlines, possibly from an old cleaning (although it could be the image - it shows best on one image when blown up). I am not convinced that it would grade. Based on the images, it is difficult to come up with an accurate grade, but I can say that I do not believe the coin is a gem or near gem.

Thank you guys I have been working hard on getting better pics I needed that feedback. Can't get to complacent. Just when I thought it was getting better. I keep buying cameras and lenses. I have a Nikon and a Canon EOS rebel. I just bought a light box to take the pictures. These were miles better than the former pics. I have got to get this under control.

In my hand the coin doesn't look so bad it has a full luster and it has the cartwheel effect the coin even reflects things. I thought polished coins loose their luster.

I am going to send it in to ngc I didn't spend that much for it so I am going to see what it really is. If it grades 65 I would be happy.

Next time I will work on the pictures.

Harv

In my hand the coin doesn't look so bad it has a full luster and it has the cartwheel effect the coin even reflects things. I thought polished coins loose their luster.

Harv

I'm glad that you brought up the luster, an aspect which is conspicuously missing from my assessment. Part of my comment was based on the very washed out appearance of the coin in photo (especially one in particular). This can be from overdipping, but when combined with what I perceive to potentially be hairlines, I think the coin has been cleaned. I could be wrong, and what I am seeing could be artifacts in the images (i.e. the hairline comment) or maybe I'm just too sleep deprived :) . Regardless, the coin is no where close to MS65.

Also, there is a difference between cleaning and polishing. Polishing will most certainly destroy all of the original mint luster. Cleaning can and often does impair mint luster, but not necessarily (i.e. I have seen cleaned coins as evidenced by hairlines that have full or near full mint luster).

Thank you guys I have been working hard on getting better pics I needed that feedback. Can't get to complacent. Just when I thought it was getting better. I keep buying cameras and lenses. I have a Nikon and a Canon EOS rebel. I just bought a light box to take the pictures. These were miles better than the former pics. I have got to get this under control.

I am by no means a photography/camera expert, but changing the camera and lens alone is unlikely to get you very far. The problem is likely your technique. Even with an average point and shoot camera, you can still take decent photos. I recommend Mark Goodman's Numismatic Photography (book). Forum member John Baumgartner (I hope I spelled that correctly), a/k/a Messy Desk, also gave an excellent symposium on respectable numismatic photography with generic point and shoot cameras at a FUN a couple years ago. You can find DVD copies of it online (check eBay).

Also, you might want to pay special attention to what several other members post on this topic. We have several that are very skilled/photography experts. Among them are Kryptonitecomics, MessyDesk, Robec, Bluvette, Brg5658, TomB, all of which offer professional photography services as well (I believe). There are also several talented collectors who do it for themselves including Coindude, Keigwin, HardTimes etc. I apologize for leaving anyone off of this list - I am blanking out and I know there are certainly more. In any event, these members are highly knowledgeable and it would be especially wise to read any threads they have posted on the topic of coin photography.

I am going to send it in to ngc I didn't spend that much for it so I am going to see what it really is. If it grades 65 I would be happy.

Next time I will work on the pictures.

Harv

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be quite surprised if the coin grades higher than 64 and not at all surprised if it grades lower than that.

Also, I think the major grading companies do a great job, overall. But I would be hesitant to say that whatever grade they assign will allow you "to see what it really is". You will receive an expert opinion, but that is not the same thing.

Lastly, if you have the option of going to a coin show, I think you might benefit from showing the coin to at least a few different dealers, to see what they think about it.

Getting back to the coin, I think that it has been cleaned because there appears to be parallel lines going across the surfaces in the same direction. These lines were not there in the coin was struck and were added when someone tried to make the coin "shiny."

I'm not sure that either of the major grading services would give it something other than a "details" or "genuine" grade. I would give this piece a sharpness grade of Ch AU or maybe low level Mint State, but the cleaning issues might make that grade irrelevant.

Here is a piece that PCGS graded MS-64. This coin has been dipped IMO, but not cleaned. Note the way the luster "plays" with the light and how the brightness is not impaired.

LexingtonO_zps5127d3c9.jpgLexingtonR_zpsd7bff75c.jpg

Some collectors try to acquire the original packaging for their commemorative coins when it is available. The Lexington commemorative half dollar came in one of the most common and more interesting packages, a wooden box. Here is an example of that piece. The box has had values that range from $40 to $50 to $75 to $80 depending on the current market. I have not priced one of these recently.

Lex-ConBoxO_zps2b7657e2.jpgLex-ConBoxR_zps99b45388.jpg