• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need your thoughts on these two Morgans

8 posts in this topic

I've had these for some time and have considered sending them in but the dark toning of the rims has allways stopped me. So what do you think; should I send them in? Should I send to NCS first to see if thay can remove the dark toning without lossing the contrast? Just leave as? What would you grade them, pics were done by BlueCC.

1879-O-obv.jpg1879-O-rev.jpg

1879-O-obv2.jpg1879-O-rev2.jpg

1879-O-obv-Contrast.jpg1879-O-rev-Contrast.jpg

1878-S-obv.jpg1878-S-rev.jpg

1878-S-obv2.jpg1878-S-rev2.jpg

1878-S-obv-Contrast.jpg1878-S-rev-Contrast.jpg

Based on the images, the reverse of the first coin is the only one I'd be particularly concerned about.

And, unless it looks worse in person, I would still try it for grading, as is, rather than having it conserved first.

I see no issues with any of these Morgan Dollars. If you decide to submit for grading, let us know your results.

From the pics, very nice Morgans.

Carl

I understand your dilemma but in my view I'd send them in for grading first and here's why. Ideally the designation you seek to receive is PL or DPL but that has a lot to do with the contrast between the subject matter and the field (especially the reflection from the field). That's something Graders determine regardless of toning interference. I'd fear losing some contrast and losing the designation accordingly.

As they sit based upon the pictures I think both coins are MS 64+ PL.

Perhaps after they returned slabbed if the result isn't satisfactory THEN take the chance with conservation. I don't know if conservation will remove the toning anyway, that's a question for the NCS people. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

My 2 cents...

Thanks for your input everyone, I am sure these will grade np but I'm concerned that the heavy dark rim tone will be looked at as a negitive eye appeal and effect the grade. As you noticed both could grade PL with the 79O a slim shot at DPL; but I think I will go ahead and give these a try with my next submission and see what happens. :)

Thanks for your input everyone, I am sure these will grade np but I'm concerned that the heavy dark rim tone will be looked at as a negitive eye appeal and effect the grade. As you noticed both could grade PL with the 79O a slim shot at DPL; but I think I will go ahead and give these a try with my next submission and see what happens. :)

Based on your pics, the 1878-S (fourth coin) and 1879-O (second coin) should both be DMPL. The frost on the Obverse and Reverse devices look strong enough to carry the attribution. Both are clearly PL.

Carl