• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improving my grading and detecting "doctered" certified Morgans, etc.

5 posts in this topic

Over the past 25 years I've collected two circulated complete sets of Morgans, three Peace Dollars and one Washington Quarters. I'm completely confident buying circulated Morgan/Peace dollars. But I just started with my first mint state Morgans a few years ago and, while improving, honestly don't know how to get my grading skills better. I just love going to auctions so a well respected dealer from New Hampshire suggested I watch some big rare-coin-wholesalers bid and

compared their interest in each lot to ones I previewed giving my own grade. Over a couple of auctions at B/M my check marks and minuses are getting closer to that firm's and another major retailer. But I had another dealer kindly preview some Morgans I loved and he pointed the signs of thumbed cheeks and grease on cheeks that apparently an automotive technician left (that's what I was before college- a dumb Ferrari/Mercedes "grease monkey"). For the life of me I can't independently see a doctered up coin. Is anyone in this forum (NGC graders welcome) know a series of diagnostic attributes or visual tests that suggest foreheadslap.gif altered surfaces? I sure have trouble with what I guess are newly holdered coins. How about diagnostic tip offs for AT? I'm still going to have dealer representation and/or preview for auctions to protect myself.

And I'll overpay for something I like from dealers I know back up their coins. But any tips? Its like fishing. Once in awhile I rather hook it myself rather the have the guide hand me the pole.

Hoot, Thanks for the reference. You are scholar and gentleman. Someone told me about a video out of Salt Lake City that dealers had raised a fuss about but he had no idea how to obtain it. I'm about posted-out as a new forum member and I'm happy you found somethig that may really answer a lot a my concerns. Hope my new '78CC with concentric toning is for real! Will see. Thanks again, Bill

Hoot, Thanks for the reference. You are scholar and gentleman. Someone told me about a video out of Salt Lake City that dealers had raised a fuss about but he had no idea how to obtain it. I'm about posted-out as a new forum member and I'm happy you found somethig that may really answer a lot a my concerns. Hope my new '78CC with concentric toning is for real! Will see. Thanks again, Bill

What they were probably referring to was a seminar that Robert Campbell have at the ANA show in Detroit (1994 I think). He put up a number of coins IN SLABS that he said were outright AT. This ticked off many dealers and Mr. Campbell received threats because of this. The video came out but it was edited pretty good from what I understand.

The video Hoot refers to is NOT the same one I don't think. This one was shot at a coin club meeting somewhere...I think..and it much more recent.

jom

JOM------- Well now that's interesting about what happened. In my own field of geology (hey, rocks are really cool--unless you're into volcanoes!) I've gotten a lot of tough criticism sometimes. Peer review often was really tough and cutting after I gave talks on my own research work. But in the long run it improves your work (and the field of interest overall). However, this guy was actually threatened?!! Well heck with them, I'm buying the AT video today anyway and hope it has been improved instead being watered down with obvious stuff. Those old EF/AU Morgan/Peace/Quarter Albums are looking a lot safer now compared to supposed investment grade coins. Maybe I'll patronize the guy with the guts to give the talk if someone hasn't shot him!! Thanks for info. Bill