• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slowly getting there on my 32-64 quarter set posted by Yankeejose

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Slowly but surely!

As I mentioned in a previous post my main focus is to work on completing my 32-64 quarter set by getting the harder dates first at an affordable grade/ price and everything else in MS66. The complete set is 85 coins including the 50 D/S and S/D varieties, I have 67 so far. This is not a small feat to accomplish while working within a discretionary income only budget. I recently won an NGC MS65 1938-S from Heritage for $120 ($141 with Buyer premium). I share the price as part of the point of my post. The previous 1 year of HA auction prices with BP range from $129 to $218- in both NGC and PCGS. The price ranges somewhat coincide with the quality of the eye appeal. The $129 coin to me had ugly spotty gray toning and the $195 coin was a pretty clean blast white in an old PCGS holder. The coin I won fits somewhere in-between, which goes along with the in-between price. Of course everyone has their own interpretation of what a nice coin looks like or what quality level fits within their collection/budget. If I had more overall money to spend and more patience I could understand holding out for the very best coin in the grade and paying the top dollar price for it. But then I could take that a step further and hold out for the next higher grade/appearance etc. For this coin in MS66 the price range in the last year was $194 to $881 (yikes!) with similar variations in eye appeal basically aligned with the final selling price.

Although I have never seen his Indian head set, but based on the purchase criteria he has shared, I am betting our buddy RICH H used the best coin for the grade philosophy. Of course it took him 15 years to complete his awesome Indian set. I can say right now that I don't have that kind of patience and dedication, but I applaud Rich and anyone who does!

Best of luck on your collections! Dave

See more journals by Yankeejose

Dave,

Good luck in completing your set. I am working on the same set and also have 67 coins to date. I see you already have most of the early dates, that's about the only ones I am lacking. I have been working on this set for several years now( not exclusively ), but recently have taken a break. I never thought when I started this set it would take so long to complete, but it has been fun!!!

Jason

Dave,

Nice going buddy !

Checked your set listing and its quite impressive. It is a tough set and I especially like the low mintage pieces from the 1930's plus the 1950 varieties. Those overdate varieties are quite dramatic and very interesting to study.

It looks like you are optimizing your budget with both target grades & quality considerations quite nicely.

Keep us posted, I hope you add to this set at the big show !!!

Rich

Dave

Keep plugging along, you'll get there. My long term project of a complete set of Morgans is stalled right now at 72 of 105 coins. My problem is that I am easily distracted. Right now that distraction set is my custom set entitled, "The Use of Seated Imagery in Numismatics". But distractions are good for me because they keep me from getting bored. Like you with your quarters, I have gotten the key Morgans out of the way and from here on out until its completion, the budget is the best coin possible for $200, 33 to go! BTW, I agree with you on Rich's Indian Head Cent collection in that it is quite impressive. Believe it or not, IHCs are among my favorite coins and I have toyed with the idea of someday starting a set of those.

All the best!

Gary