• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever discovered a foreign substance in a NGC slab?

31 posts in this topic

It isn't uncommon to find eyebrow, nose hairs, or far worse entombed in some TPG company holders.

Thinking about it today beyond cotton fibers discovered with a loupe on copper coinage from previous storage prior to submitting I have never found anything else in a NGC slab.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever discovered anything, or does NGC apply better precautions then the rest of the TPG services hm

I have a slab that has a plastic chip in it, but I was told it was there to help hold the coin in place. It is a Kookaburra slab. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Here it is, hard to tell but the plastic is at 6:00. I can get some better pictures later if you really want to see it, but I was told by many, including Mark Feld that it was placed there on purpose.

hxmq.png

I have a slab that has a plastic chip in it, but I was told it was there to help hold the coin in place. It is a Kookaburra slab. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Thanks... However I'm wondering about unintentional bonuses such as hair, food partials, or even a booger.

Thanks... However I'm wondering about unintentional bonuses such as hair, food partials, or even a booger.

And to think I was pondering what could be worse than a nose hair. :D

And to think I was pondering what could be worse than a nose hair. :D

I once owned a ANACS white chase holder early WLH that had a booger with nose hairs adhered to the reverse. I bought from Heritage without lot viewing and discovered it with a loupe upon arrival.

I once saw an NGC slab with a good sized roach inside of it

:o

And now for "the rest of the srory".......

But it was when I was grading and involved in quality control at NGC. So, one day, as a joke, the sealers presented me with a slab, containing no coin to inspect - just a roach! It was dead and of subpar quality.

:D

lmao, we have a winner and a certified one as well

• Administrator

Our encapsulation room is cleaned and filtered to minimize dust, and our employees are very mindful when handling your coins. For example, food particles in a holder would never occur. No foreign material of that type allowed in the encapsulation room. As for your other examples, let's just hope not!

Despite all best efforts, very occasionally something ends up in a holder that's not supposed to be there. If ever you encounter a holder with foreign matter enclosed along with your coin, just send it to us or drop it off at a show and, of course, we'll reholder your coin for free.

Our encapsulation room is cleaned and filtered to minimize dust, and our employees are very mindful when handling your coins. For example, food particles in a holder would never occur. No foreign material of that type allowed in the encapsulation room. As for your other examples, let's just hope not!

Despite all best efforts, very occasionally something ends up in a holder that's not supposed to be there. If ever you encounter a holder with foreign matter enclosed along with your coin, just send it to us or drop it off at a show and, of course, we'll reholder your coin for free.

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to post; it is very much appreciated, and this is good to know.

But it was when I was grading and involved in quality control at NGC. So, one day, as a joke, the sealers presented me with a slab, containing no coin to inspect - just a roach! It was dead and of subpar quality.

:D

Based on this, and the one story about the meat (and JA), NGC sounds like a fun place to be employed.

I wasn't thrilled when I found this.

1925pvcA_zps4df49b15.jpg

That looks like PVC that was on the coin before it was certified. I don't think it was trapped in the slab when it was sealed. Who ever submitted this coin should have taken it off before they sent it in, or they should have sent the coin to NCS.

From my experience I don't recall seeing much of anything in any NGC slabs, but I've seen a lot more foreign material in PCGS slabs over the years.

1925pvcA_zps4df49b15.jpg

Based on the image, I don't think that has anything to do with NGC's grading and encapsulation of the coin.

Based on the context of this thread, that comment seems unfair to NGC.

But it was when I was grading and involved in quality control at NGC. So, one day, as a joke, the sealers presented me with a slab, containing no coin to inspect - just a roach! It was dead and of subpar quality. :D

So, were you thinking AU in a 61 holder or just not eligible for a CAC sticker.......

Scoff as you might... you knew CAC was gonna get thrown in here at some point!!

But it was when I was grading and involved in quality control at NGC. So, one day, as a joke, the sealers presented me with a slab, containing no coin to inspect - just a roach! It was dead and of subpar quality. :D

So, were you thinking AU in a 61 holder or just not eligible for a CAC sticker.......

Scoff as you might... you knew CAC was gonna get thrown in here at some point!!

CAC was not yet in existence at the time. ;)

1925pvcA_zps4df49b15.jpg

That looks like PVC that was on the coin before it was certified. I don't think it was trapped in the slab when it was sealed.

It looks like PVC to me too. Sometimes PVC residue isn't always noticeable (i.e. it could have been taken straight from a flip and had some plasticizer on it and can slide by undetected). Regardless, I wouldn't consider this a foreign substance (I agree with you and Mr. Feld).

I agree and just felt there would have been some sign of it when it was sent in and perhaps not graded.

I would recommend sending it in for appearance review. I think this is a case where the coin itself does not belong in a holder ;)

Re: Has anyone ever discovered a foreign substance in a NGC slab?

ngc-------------------------no NEVER

PCGS -------------------on more than one+ occasion

Since no one else has posted any....I have an archive of probably 500,000 images...many of which are coins I sold and while I don't have the time to look through all of them I did manage to find this one...

Forsale3009.jpg

Forsale3010.jpg

Forsale3007.jpg

Forsale3008.jpg

Forsale3006.jpg

It looked like a piece of hamburger to me when I used a loop on it but realistically it could have been just about anything... hm

Very interesting thread, Broadstruck.

Depending upon how it "graded", an NGC Encapsulated Roach might sell for moon money on eBay! It would be really funny to watch that auction and read all of the commentary about it on the forums.