• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for info on the Dr. S. Long Collection

13 posts in this topic

What's happening forum. I recently picked up a Roosevelt dime attributed to the Dr. S. Long Collection. But I can't find any information on Dr. S. Long or his collection. Is anyone familiar with the Long collection? Thanks

Which TPG service attributed the coin to the Long Collection Pedigree? If it was attributed by our host or PCGS, you should be able to find some type of information on their sites I would imagine.

After a quick Google search, I found a couple of previous auctions at Heritage for a 1956 and 1948 Roosevelt Dime. Both coins were pedigreed to the Dr. S. Long Collection but did offer much more information. You may try to broaden your search range to "pedigreed coin collections" or something along those lines and see what you come up with. It may take some digging but I'm sure the answers you're seeking can be found!

My type-set silver quarter also has his/her name on the label. I never had any luck finding out anything more about who he/she was. (shrug)

Good luck.

1957_Washington_Quarter_NGC_CAC_MS67_toned_composite_zps695a4fa1.jpg

I have never heard of this pedigree, but it doesn't surprise me the least bit. NGC (and PCGS to a lesser extent) will allow almost anyone who is willing to pay an extra fee pedigree their submissions with their name on them (or at least that's the way it used to be). It is worth calling NGC, but I seriously doubt they will have any more information than you do. Google reveals little.

I am in the same predicament with trying to find out more about one of my favorite coins, a rainbow toned Peace Dollar from the Patriot Collection. I have seen other coins with the same pedigree without the toning, but I don't have any information at all about original owner, etc.

Consignments59012.jpg

1923PeaceDollarCombined.jpg

My type-set silver quarter also has his/her name on the label. I never had any luck finding out anything more about who he/she was. (shrug)

Good luck.

1957_Washington_Quarter_NGC_CAC_MS67_toned_composite_zps695a4fa1.jpg

If all of the coins look this nice, Dr. Long must have had a very nice collection. I like it!

Yeah coinman_23885 is spot on...

So I called NGC just a minute ago. They don't keep records of pedigree or collections. And they don't know who Dr. S. Long is. And, yeah, what the lady from NGC just told me is that anyone can put their name and the word "collection" on a slab for an extra fee. She also said that they obviously wouldn't let you put anything on the slab. i.e. you couldn't put the "Barack Obama Collection" or the "Federal Reserve Collection".

So I still don't have any information on S. Long. I don't even know if it's a man or a woman. The only thing I know about him/her is that he/she had some very nice coins in their collection. Mostly I've seen dimes attributed to the Long Collection. The quarter posted in this thread is the first quarter I've seen with the Long Collection on its label. Here are two dimes:

kaojyc.jpgmlpcns.jpg

• Administrator

A few quick comments on pedigrees.

Pedigrees are available to submitters when sending complete or nearly complete collections of coins to NGC for certification. If your coins are already graded by NGC, they can be reholdered with pedigree for $12/coin.

NGC does not charge an additional fee for collections (complete or nearly complete) being submitted for grading. Thus if you request a pedigree on a raw collection being graded or an NGC-certified collection that is being regraded, only the grading fee is charged.

Most pedigrees consist of a collector's name followed by the word COLLECTION. Pedigrees must be approved by NGC to meet market acceptability standards. Corporate marks and trademarked names are not acceptable (without written approval from the mark's owner), and you cannot use someone else's name or a word that implies something about the quality or condition of the coins. Beyond that, we try to be open-minded when evaluating pedigrees. For many collectors, having their coins pedigreed contributes to the enjoyment and prestige of building and completing an NGC-certified collection.

Some useful information also appears here under Special Designations: Consumer Awareness Information Concerning Pedigrees

Boy Scott, come into the thread with all kinds of information and facts and such. Way to end a perfectly entertaining thread!!!!!

J/k

Perhaps you could contact Stack's for information as the catalog below makes mention of a Dr. Long Collection of Roman imperial Coins. Perhaps one and the same?

Ancient and Modern Coins of the World and the United States : mail bid sale, closing date Wednesday, November 13, 1985 / catalogued and sold by Coin Galleries, the foreign department of Stack's. New York, N.Y. : The Galleries, [1985].

-D

Thanks for the info Scott. I'm glad that NGC has to approve the Pedigree. When I talked to NGC the other day, the lady did actually mention that Pedigrees do need to be approved, but she really didn't talk too much about the specifics other than saying you can't name your Pedigree, like you said, someone else's name or something that implies superior quality like "Best Roosevelt Dime Collection".

Overall, though, I'm not nearly as interested in a coin's Pedigree as much as I'm interested in the coin itself. The name attached needs to be Eliasberg or something like that for me to have any real interest in the Pedigree. (I'm actually from Baltimore too, so I do have to admit that the Eliasberg Pedigree does mean something to me.) But overall, it's about the coin.

I actually just received the dime with the S. Long name attached from the dealer in the mail today. And it's a really decent-looking coin for what I paid for it. Few marks on the face. But a nice little rainbow tone around the rim on the obverse. Check it out...

2zrhk7t.jpg

2mrwgth.jpg

That thing that looks like a big ding on the rim near the date is actually a little piece of extra metal or something. I'm not sure if it's peeled or what. I haven't looked to a real powerful loupe just yet.