• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941 Zinc Norway 50 Ore with raised bumps on Obv/Rev

5 posts in this topic

I have found a Norway 50 Ore Zinc 1941 that looks to be Unc. but it has 5 bumps on the Obv. and at least 13 bumps on the Rev. side. This does not seem to have any diff. on the condition of the coin. They look like someone may have dinged the dies and then used them to mint the coin. Has anyone ever seen anything like this. there is no sign of water damage on the coin.

Zinc coins can be funny. A lot seem to start life as XF's. Your coin could be counterfeit but in all probability is genuine and Unc. There are some experts here who could provide a more informed opinion with good pictures.

As you probably know "bumps" are often a sign of being a cast counterfeit.

I have a number of zinc Nazi occupation coins from Norway, Belgium, etc. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing anyone would counterfeit, though it's not impossible, I guess. An examination of the bumps in question would tell us a lot.