• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion; Artificial or Natural Toning?

16 posts in this topic

AT or NT or Photoshop Enhancement and Photo Techniques or a combination of all of the above?

First a Washington .25

Quarter_Obverse_01.JPG

Quarter_Obverse_02.JPG

Quarter_Reverse_01.JPG

Quarter_Reverse_02.JPG

Now a Roosevelt

Dime_Obverse_01.JPG

Dime_Obverse_02.JPG

Dime_Reverse_01.JPG

Dime_Reverse_02.JPG

I generally don't even pay any attention to the whole toning scene but they were really cheap considering they were matching year and .90 Silver.

I am ready for the toning expert opinions.

Thanks.

I take it that these two sets of pictures are all of the same dime and quarter. If so I would go by the second sets which show the white spots mixed in with the toning. The first sets have been cleaned up to make the coins look better. The white spots are a natural form of toning that I have seen on pieces that were left in the original mint holder, but not stored properly. I don't find them to be very attractive.

I take it that these two sets of pictures are all of the same dime and quarter. If so I would go by the second sets which show the white spots mixed in with the toning. The first sets have been cleaned up to make the coins look better. The white spots are a natural form of toning that I have seen on pieces that were left in the original mint holder, but not stored properly. I don't find them to be very attractive.

Yeah I was thinking that the clean pictures are a combination of photo lighting and exposure and then Photo Shop. I was interested in that dime for another reason as well. It looks like it has doubled. Maybe Machine or maybe just the image manipulation.

Yes all those are the same. But I think I was more interested in whether some of these folks that really go for toned coins, who are quite often debating whether a coin is AT or NT might weigh in and give opinions on that aspect.

Will have to wait and get them in hand to see just how bad, if at all, the specks are or if that is die marks.

NT and I think you'll like them in hand...

I hope your right. They will end up on my store front and after looking up the potential values in a NGC slab I may just have to slab them first then list them for sell.

Completely NT. Those are examples of proofs that toned due to their storage environment as Bill stated. You shouldn't pay a premium for that kind of toning though since even though its completely natural it isn't that attractive.

Completely NT. Those are examples of proofs that toned due to their storage environment as Bill stated. You shouldn't pay a premium for that kind of toning though since even though its completely natural it isn't that attractive.

Oh I didn't pay a premium for them at all. Actually I paid about what one would for a coin that could grade 65 or 66 with a FT on the Roosevelt. The Quarter not so sure.... But I think both coins are really in good condition for a nice grade.

But anyway I didn't buy them for me. The last thing I will be doing is chasing some toned coins and paying these terribly hideous premiums for a coin simply because it has some 'attractive' (completely subjective) or unusual toning to it. I bought these for the ones that do chase the toned coins.

These may not be prime time for many of the tone chasers and I may never be able to sell them but I would not be seeking a huge premium simply based on the coins tone either.

On a side note though; I don't think they are the least bit ugly or without eye appeal. The fixed up (doctored) pics really make the coins look quite nice in my opinion.

I am glad to see that your opinions are that they are naturally toned. That was my main concern.

My real score last night was a 1878-S Morgan with a variety yet to be determined, but I am seeking the expertise of someone very knowledgeable in Morgans and their varieties. I am excited about that one. I hope it does not turn out to be a let down.

By saying not to pay too much I mean about $5 for the dime and $10 for the quarter. Even then I feel that would be expensive for these. You can normally find common date proofs near melt values.

By saying not to pay too much I mean about $5 for the dime and $10 for the quarter. Even then I feel that would be expensive for these. You can normally find common date proofs near melt values.

Oh...ok Then our perception of to much is very different. lol

I see LWH's, Franklins, etc.. going for way, way over value being sold daily. Then to mention Morgans and Peace Dollars. Melt on them is less than $20.00 yet they sell for $75.00, $150.00, and much, much more on a regular basis in raw state.

Oh I didn't pay a premium for them at all. Actually I paid about what one would for a coin that could grade 65 or 66 with a FT on the Roosevelt. The Quarter not so sure.... But I think both coins are really in good condition for a nice grade.

But anyway I didn't buy them for me. The last thing I will be doing is chasing some toned coins and paying these terribly hideous premiums for a coin simply because it has some 'attractive' (completely subjective) or unusual toning to it. I bought these for the ones that do chase the toned coins.

These may not be prime time for many of the tone chasers and I may never be able to sell them but I would not be seeking a huge premium simply based on the coins tone either.

On a side note though; I don't think they are the least bit ugly or without eye appeal. The fixed up (doctored) pics really make the coins look quite nice in my opinion.

I am glad to see that your opinions are that they are naturally toned. That was my main concern.

My real score last night was a 1878-S Morgan with a variety yet to be determined, but I am seeking the expertise of someone very knowledgeable in Morgans and their varieties. I am excited about that one. I hope it does not turn out to be a let down.

They both look like proofs to me and do appear to be NT - probably from storage in an old album LOC, Wayte Raymond, etc. The dime wouldn't be eligible for FT designation if it is a proof and in my opinion isn't flashy enough to garner a star.

I received them a few days back and they look exactly like the pictures that I thought might have been doctored. They are flawless. Not a scratch, blemish, nothing on these coins at all.

So I am happy with them and as perfect as they are I am actually thinking about sending them in for grading.

I know they would not be worth much unless they were graded 70 or 69 but I have submitted coins that I thought were 70 before and they ended up in a 70 slab. I will wait until the end of this week and see if either one of my Silver Delaware Quarters come back PF70UC.

If at least one does then I am going to send these in soon also. And if at least one of those Delawares come back PF70UC, which I feel confident at least one will, I will then have a full set of PF70UC Silver State Quarters. I have been working on that set for a little while now and that Delaware, of-course, is the last one I need.