• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it cheaper to send your coins to NGC or buy them already graded?

5 posts in this topic

Just Received My 5 Coins From NGC 4 ASE Set and 100 Greatest 100 #86

I started to get my modern coins graded because my insurance required appraisal for my coins or I just get melt value for them. Not having a lot of money I just get 5 coins a year. Well this year I got two sets of the ASE West Point. So I started to debate whether to send them or just keep them un-graded. Well after seeing the market for ASE WP 70's set for $289 and up it was cheaper to send them off and hope for 70s. Got back 3 70's and one 69. I was lucky that two of the 70s were the Enhanced ASE ones. I also sent in the 2005 P Marines rank #86 in the 100 Greatest US Modern Coins 1st ed. That came back a 69. Now I could have got one off of Ebay cheaper I believe. I have a lot of ASE and silver world coins not graded. I think it is going to be a long 6 years or so before I get them all graded.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

14048.jpg

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

Hi Ed,

I debated the same issue. One thing you forgot to add was the original cost of the coins from the mint. Figure that price in on top of the grading fees and I decided with purchasing my set from MCM for $289 for a 70 set. Its slightly more then the over all cost but I do get a 70 set. There is no guaranty of 70s if sent in for grading yourself. Plus that 5 coin minimum will have me sitting on the coins for awhile unless I buy 3 sets.

Very nice coins by the way. I also have one of the Marines Commemoratives...it's one of my favorites!!

Happy collecting!

Jeffrey

Spend your money on learning to grade coins - the ANA has an excellent program. Save the TPG money for use when you need authentication or have a high-value piece.