• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique Burma/Myanmar Coin, Buddha & Elephant

10 posts in this topic

The dated side also shows a series of stupas ("mounds" that contained Buddhist religious artifacts) of which Bagan, Burma, has the greatest concentration in one place (literally thousands).

This is an ancient and rare Buddha Coin that may not be possibly found anywhere else. This coin was found accidentally washed over (maybe due to flooding throwing up swirls) on the bank of the Hooghly River, also called Ganga River, about 35 to 40 years back (unable to recall exactly) and was kept in safe custody since then. I wish to sell this coin. Any idea what it might be worth?

coinreverse.jpg

coinobverse.jpg

I have never seen this style of Buddha image before, so it would be interesting to know what it is. The pose is common, but the full hair and crown/headdress is unusual.

My guess is that it is not Buddha, but is a representation of another figure. I am also guessing it is not an actual coin.

But, I could be completely wrong.

The token is posted for sale on several clones of Indian auction sites.

Thakurpukur, Kolkata, West Bengal.

"Description

This is an ancient and rare Buddha Coin that may not be possibly found anywhere else. This coin was found accidentally washed over (maybe due to flooding throwing up swirls) on the bank of the Hooghly River, also called Ganga River, about 35 to 40 years back (unable to recall exactly) and was kept in safe custody since then."

The price is: 9,00,00,000 in India Rupee, but the digits shown on the auction site are gibberish.

Note that the hair is entirely wrong for Buddha.

Hello there.. I do also have the same coin that has been kept by my late grand father for the long time and I guess he got it while serving as Indian army.. but the back part is quite different from the coins above so I do like to know more about this coin.

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg