• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**This should be in the CPG and NGC Variety Set!**

8 posts in this topic

This is the first one I have ever seen in 3.5 years of searching for Mercury Dime Varieties, besides the one documented in the Treasure Hunting Mercury Dimes 2nd Edition book by John A. Wexler and Kevin Flynn in 2005. It is also shown in David Lange's wonderful Mercury Dime book. I believe it is also in the RPM Book. Thank you to the dealer that found this for me! I really appreciate it! I don't want to let the world know who my secret source was but I will say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The coin had some dingy areas on the obverse and reverse so I felt compelled to fix that problem. It is beautiful now. There are a lot of die scratches on the obverse in front of Liberty's face. I wonder if that will be an obverse die marker for all future examples located or just some. I was challenged when photographing the coin...as usual but did the best I could. The patch of color on the reverse is a nice shiny orange area with lots of luster. This variety is MUCH MUCH MORE DRAMATIC than some of the varieties already blessed by PCGS & NGC in the Complete Mercury Variety Sets and this should be included without a doubt. The variety is easily seen with a 10x and although I do not have one, I am quite certain it can be seen with a 5x loupe. Some of the Mercury Dime Varieties need a 20x!!!

Okay, here's the pic followed by a scan of the 3 RPMs for the date. For anyone that enjoys Mercury Dime Varieties, I highly recommend the Treasure Hunting Book. The book has nearly everything. It shows 8 DDOs for 1936 alone! Crazy how thorough the book is. Enjoy! If you would like to post a coin of yours that deserves to be in the CPG / PCGS/NGC Variety Registry Sets, feel free to post it! :D

1942-SoverS_RPM-003_NGC_MS67_CAC.jpg

1942-S_RPMs.jpg

It certainly should, though it is hard to get varieties added. There is a large number of other cool die varieties that are not recognized by CPG or NGC.
I am writing a Mercury Dime Variety Book with the hopes that it draws some attention. :)

It certainly should, though it is hard to get varieties added. There is a large number of other cool die varieties that are not recognized by CPG or NGC.

About 6 years ago, prior to the release of the 5th Edition of the CPG, I attended the CPG seminar at the January FUN Show. J. T. Stanton gave the presentation, and while he commented that the newest additions would concentrate on those varieties that would be easier to find for the majority, he also emphasized that it would be almost impossible to include every deserving candidate and still be able to keep the size of the book reasonable. Otherwise, the book would probably be larger than the "VAM Bible" and too expensive for the average collector to afford.

I guess you'll just have to wait and hope for the best.

Chris

I agree that the Treasure Hunting series is incredibly awesome! I have the Franklin and Kennedy book, and it is really helpful. I wish they would include more (there are a lot of varieties not included in teh book), but the ones that are there have great pictures, clear descriptions, and are very useful.

Chris

No, no no. (tsk);)

Writing my own book of all SIGNIFICANT Mercury Dime Varieties. :D

The information in it will actually be correct too...or at least that will be my aim! ;)

Chris

No, no no. (tsk);)

Writing my own book of all SIGNIFICANT Mercury Dime Varieties. :D

The information in it will actually be correct too...or at least that will be my aim! ;)

Have you read David Lange's book, The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes? How would it compare to what you are writing?

Chris

Yes, David Lange's book is great and I do not wish to recreate the wheel. His wheel works very well. Think Treasure Hunting Mercury Dimes but NOT crazy showing every single variety possibly created...I can't do that and don't want to. I want to hit on ONLY what I view as SIGNIFICANT varieties. I love the Treasure Hunting book and use it all the time. I have no interest in trying to recreate that wheel either. My book will only focus on the significant varieties...so think about the CPG + 20 some additional Mercury Dime varieties. Then when you think about the CPG Merc Section....much of the rarity information is wrong, much of the interest information is what I would call "a bit off", the values are wrong in many cases as well, especially when they list NA in so many areas.. areas in which I have clear auction result information or private sale information. There are specific cases that the CPG does NOT take into consideration when half-attempting some of their values. I will point to specific sale information. I will address the problem with the interest factor and liquidity issue in a different way. I will correct all of their rarity information that is really really wrong. I hope to show better color photos of higher grade and better struck examples. I hope to cover die markers that I have discovered and are not mentioned. I will also do a full key/semi-key date analysis that I have alluded to on these forums before. That's about it. I plan on being very thorough with the SIGNIFICANT varieties for the series. It is my ultimate goal that PCGS and NGC will not pay attention to the CPG for their source of what is real and will pay attention to my book...and will focus on these varieties for the Complete Variety Registry Sets. I hope to also make it available via iPad/iPhone/Android Apps...and then will also have a website.

The book has already been started. :)