• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1690 Brunswick-Lüneburg 2/3 Thaler -- PCGS AU55

5 posts in this topic

I picked up a nice new addition to my collection. The coin is lovely in hand, and features the rearing Saxon Steed common on several German States coins of the time. I found this coin historically compelling, as it bears the coat of arms and the legend/name of Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. While Ernest Augustus is not particularly well known, his son would go on to become King George I, the first King of Great Britain from the House of Hanover. The House of Hanover would rule as monarchs from 1714 until the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. Queen Victoria's son would become Edward VII, House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (the house of his father's lineage).

1690HB_BrunswickCalHann_2-3Thaler_PCGS_AU55_composite_zpsbd02bde1.jpg

1690_BrunsLuneCalle_PCGS_AU55_2-3Thaler_obv_zps50f1db68.jpg

1690_BrunsLuneCalle_PCGS_AU55_2-3Thaler_rev_zps29047f21.jpg

1690HB_BrunswickCalHann_2-3Thaler_PCGS_AU55_historical_zps831cc410.jpg

Talk about some history. Ruling for that long is amazing. The coin is amazing also. Although I would love to see a modern comm for him were they use a bust of him with that awesome hair.

The dates are his birth and death years. You can read more about him at the Wikipedia link I included. :)

-Brandon