• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out the 2013 numismatic Britannia coins

1 post in this topic

The Royal Mint recently introduced their new 2013 numismatic Britannia coins. My understanding was that they standardized the weight and precious metal composition of their offerings in order to become more globally competitive and encourage collection of the series. I believe this was a wise move although traditionalist might disagree.

However, when I looked at their 2013 numismatic offerings I have to admit that I was a bit baffled and disappointed. They have 10 different silver and gold Britannia products offered for sale. Many of the offerings make no sense to me. Who is the market for a two coin proof set composed of a 1/10 and 1/20 ounce silver coin?

Want some Britannia gold? The only stand-alone coins offered are the 1/20 ounce gold coin or the 5 ounce gold coin. If you want a standard one-ounce gold Britannia coin it is offered only in a 5 coin gold proof set (they have done this in the past). The set is offered for 3100 pounds, approximately $4619 for 1.95 ounces of gold.

I had hoped to collect these coins in one-ounce gold and silver proof versions. I have ordered 5 one-ounce proof silver coins but I can’t justify purchasing any of the gold offerings. No way do I want to collect 1/20 ounce gold coins and the 5 ounce coin is out of my league.

Check out their offerings at The Royal Mint and let me know what you think.