• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your opinion?

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

As a bonus for becoming a Collectors Society member, I got a voucher for 5 free Earlybird direct submissions. Do you think it is safe to send the following in 1 package?

1955/55 Lincoln

1922 plain Lincoln

1916D Mercury

1942/1 Mercury

1942/1D Mercury

...I'm kind of hesitant of sending 5 keys all at once. I guess as long as it's insured for an adequate amount, things should be ok?

I guess as long as it's insured for an adequate amount, things should be ok?

Yup. Send it Registered Mail, insured. Get delivery confirmation if it makes you feel better, but with RM, you can look up the registration number on the USPS web site to see if it was delivered. Also, on the NGC CS site, you can see where the shipment/order is in terms of its progress through their system.

Hoot

Unless the total value is over $25,000 there is no need for worry with Registered with Insurance.

Why do you say this? The guys at my local PO told me that there is no insurance on a registered package unless you specify it. Have you been told different?

Hoot

As Hoot has already said, Registered Mail is the safest way to send anything through the U.S. mail. From the moment the person at the post office takes the package from your hand everyone who handles it has to sign for it. If the package disappears the U.S. postal inspectors go right to the last person who signed for it.

Send it Registered Mail with full insurance and you should be fine. You would have to be extremely unlucky to have a package sent by Registered Mail get lost or stolen. I must say however that in over 15 years of sending and receiving coins through the mail, the only package that was lost was a Registered Mail package that a dealer was sending to me. The package was fully insured and the dealer refunded my money promptly and I never did find out what happened to that package. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Unless the total value is over $25,000 there is no need for worry with Registered with Insurance.

Why do you say this? The guys at my local PO told me that there is no insurance on a registered package unless you specify it. Have you been told different?

Hoot

All Registered Mail comes with $500 free insurance. You just have to check the box on the form. Anything above $500 costs extra.

The max insured value with the Post Office is $25,000. That's why you need not worry unless the value is above that.

Hoot

All Registered Mail comes with $500 free insurance. You just have to check the box on the form. Anything above $500 costs extra.

The max insured value with the Post Office is $25,000. That's why you need not worry unless the value is above that.

So it sounds like you do have to insure if it's over $500, and up to $25,000. I've always thought that if the package was over $25,000 that you had to buy independent insurance in excess of the PO's insurance for its delivery.

Hoot

I have sent similar packages through the mail using Registered service on several occasions. Twice, I've mailed my entire inventory with three separate packages insured for $30,000 each. You'll be fine.

James

Send it Registered mail with insurance, and make sure you insure it for the full amount, also on your listing sheet insure it for enough. I just had an 1918/7 D Buffalo nickel lost at the NGC, they did pay the insurance but I insured it for wholesale instead of retail so I lost on the sale of the coin. Better to be over insured than not insured for enough.

Smitty 893frustrated.gif

Wow quite a group! I always insure them at the higheest possible grade I can reasonably support with a so so photo of coin on my drivers license. Use Trends Value guide as its widely accepted. Forget the return green reciept and safeguard the registered reciept.