• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a jump posted by wmfielding

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

made $250.00 overnight

I had to run a Financial report for my insurance agent this morning and I got a huge surprise my 1986 S Jefferson nickel that had a FMV of $2500.00 is now listed at $2750.00 Now I started collecting to save for my Grand children's collage fund if I'm ever luckly enough to have any. If not they will be a good start for my son to buy a house either way my son wins so I'm hoping to complete a great collection.

Happy Collecting and may God Bless...Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

MOVING ON UP!

I wasn't surprised it went up in value considering it has such a low population and high demand. I would like to know what sale they were going by to move it up. There is a PCGS example on Heritage right now, and I expect it to top the $2500 price.

INFLATION isn't all bad. :banana:

SELL NOW!

In 1986 the U.S. Mint produced over 3,000,000 San Francisco Proof Sets. To date NGC has graded only 443 1986-S nickels total. There are a million or more coins out there and likely many more 70 Ultra Cameo nickels to come. The price will likely go down as more coins hit the market. Take the $2500 or $2750 and run to the bank if you can get it or better yet invest it in some pre-1933 higher end U.S. Gold coins.

The few guys who have made just about every PF70UC from 1977-1991 have stated that within the nickel series the 1986 is one of the toughest to get a 70 for.

Mark Di Lauro told me that he doesn't even attempt to make any more because it is a losing venture.

Just because there are 3 million proof sets from that year does not mean they are all untoned and free from milk spots.

If you are feeling lucky then by all means send in a handful of '86 nickels and see what you get.

Alot of submitters use the option of not having anything under PF69UC get slabbed so the numbers probably don't reflect the actual number that has been submitted. :banana:

Alot of submitters use the option of not having anything under PF69UC get slabbed so the numbers probably don't reflect the actual number that has been submitted. :banana:

This sure seems like a rout that would save a little cash. I am going to need to check into it for my proof submissions next year for sure. If it saves not to have coins slabbed below PF69 I will be all for it as I sure don't want any PF68's from the 80's or 90's. Thanks for the info!!! :)

Hi Mike,

One correction to your post, nothing is "made" on a coin until you sell it. This holds true for all assets. Changes in FMV simply reflect "paper gains".

Best Regards,

Rich