• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the superbird quarter? information please

4 posts in this topic

any information wahtsoever on this quarter and its date would be appreciated

also waht is its value?

does pcgs/ngc? certify as such??

is there demand for such a coin?

etc??

screwy.gifmichael screwy.gif

a screwy.gifcollector

It's rare..........1952 Proof Quarter with a clear punched "S" in the Chest. ANACS is the only one currently certifying them, but I believe that's about to change.

17 Graded by ANACS so far............and I don't think their are a whole lot out there, but I would imagine it is a coin that can be cherry picked if at the right show thumbsup2.gif

No idea of what the value would be, but a PF66 sold on Ebay for $82. I think if you could find another one for the price it would be a steal!!!!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The "Superbird" variety is the result of a lint impression. The proof dies were periodically wiped with a soft cloth to clean them, and small pieces of lint sometimes remained on the die face. These caused an impression on the coins struck from these dies. In this instance, the piece of lint settled on the die in the shape of a letter 'S' and transferred this figure to the coins struck from it.

NGC has been certifying this Cherrypicker variety for several months, and you'll find more than 40 examples in our Census.