• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG: 1884-S Morgan

21 posts in this topic

Looks like a problem coin in the au55 details range - May have been overdipped or through electrolysis, haze around details is disturbing, obvious recent contact with chemicals (irregular tone) is an issue, and existing toning is obviously artificial, probably a bad attempt to disguise surface issues - I'm guessing this is for sale somewhere and not your pics - I personally would have no interest in this one...

My guess is that the coin is high grade AU, but was dipped, improperly rinsed and now retoning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-1884-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-AU-Plenty-Of-Mint-Luster-FREE-SHIPPING-/400504059212?nma=true&si=BgTeapeytgYGW9YT2vDNVxxin9M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That was one fast re-tone. Check the link, this seller bought this coin about a week before doctoring and re-listing it.

Ebay link above lets you zoom to see in great detail what this coin is really like

Here's a low res copy for reference...

139313.jpg.a7ec5e747c99f12c89c70df49d9cab9b.jpg

My guess is that the coin is high grade AU, but was dipped, improperly rinsed and now retoning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-1884-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-AU-Plenty-Of-Mint-Luster-FREE-SHIPPING-/400504059212?nma=true&si=BgTeapeytgYGW9YT2vDNVxxin9M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That was one fast re-tone. Check the link, this seller bought this coin about a week before doctoring and re-listing it.

Ebay link above lets you zoom to see in great detail what this coin is really like

They look like different coins to me. It's not even close to me.

I agree regarding the dip and rinse resulting in the discoloration seen, and I also agree that the coin has the "meat" or detail of a high grade AU coin; however, the coin looks to have little to no original mint luster. Wouldn't this either result in a details grade or the coin being placed in an XF holder?

They look like different coins to me. It's not even close to me.

There is NO DOUBT. This is the exact same coin. Besides the marks illustrated below, they have matching marks below US and matching rim hits above the I...

Take a closer look coinman:-)

139314.jpg.c6bf565d8ffa94a35bec988c18015551.jpg

UBT. This is the exact same coin. Besides the marks illustrated below, they have matching marks below US and matching rim hits above the I...

Your low resolution photo did not show all of these markings. I didn't actually go to the ebay auction page/ the close-ups.

UBT. This is the exact same coin. Besides the marks illustrated below, they have matching marks below US and matching rim hits above the I...

Your low resolution photo did not show all of these markings. I didn't actually go to the ebay auction page/ the close-ups.

:-) I thought that might be the case - The 200k photo size limit kept the detail low res on the 1st one... Obviously something has been done to this coin, the image, or almost certainly both. (And Very Recently to boot) (Simple dip residue this IS NOT) The seller is purposefully misrepresenting the item with the intent to decieve potential buyers (notice the initial seller had a 14-day return and this guy has no returns)

caveat emptor when dealing with this scumbag!!!

The contact marks are completely different on the eBay coin. It is not the same coin.

Coindude - Are you blind, or did you not see the second response with the high res comparison on page 2 of this topic. The image on the left is the ebay coin currently for sale and the one on the right is the one purchased a week before listing by this same seller. The red arrows mark the most obvious of the matching marks (which are DEAD ON), but anything visible in the sellers image can be found mark for mark on the image from the previous sale...Take a closer look...

The contact marks are completely different on the eBay coin. It is not the same coin.

I agree with SWNGC, based on his large pictures with the arrows, it is DEFINITELY the same coin. Put your glasses on or move closer to the monitor! ;)

Coindude - Are you blind, or did you not see the second response with the high res comparison on page 2 of this topic. The image on the left is the ebay coin currently for sale and the one on the right is the one purchased a week before listing by this same seller. The red arrows mark the most obvious of the matching marks (which are DEAD ON), but anything visible in the sellers image can be found mark for mark on the image from the previous sale...Take a closer look...

Maybe he looked at your original photos when he made his comment. I did not think it was the same coin until you posted the new high resolution photos. With those new photos I would say it is the same coin .

Maybe he looked at your original photos when he made his comment. I did not think it was the same coin until you posted the new high resolution photos. With those new photos I would say it is the same coin .
This is exactly the situation. The new pictures, which I did not see are definitely of the same coin. Thanks for all who pointed that out so kindly. SWNGC, I will refrain from any further posts on your threads. I hope I didn't offend you with my ignorance. Great job on finding the exact coin in two different auctions btw.

This is exactly the situation. The new pictures, which I did not see are definitely of the same coin. Thanks for all who pointed that out so kindly. SWNGC, I will refrain from any further posts on your threads. I hope I didn't offend you with my ignorance. Great job on finding the exact coin in two different auctions btw.

Coindude - I meant to put a smile :-) on that question regarding being blind, and mentioned that you may not have seen the clearer image (The first did no show much detail, but this was due to the 200k file size as previously noted) I hope you have no hard feelings, and I appreciate your input on mine as well as other people's posts - Apologies!

Hopefully anyone here who may have considered bidding on this (especially the op) at least has some insight into this guys game - I hate to see people get burned!