• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

79 S Morgan - Grade Revealed

9 posts in this topic

What grade would you give to this coin? What's the highest grade you think it would CAC at?

DSC_0272.jpg

d6363c27-26b2-462e-9c57-b8704f8b9679.jpg

50f95904-1cea-44f6-96a6-365872af4423.jpg

4d60b46c-7671-4520-b567-3dde7eb41c60.jpg

Thanks - Mike

Wow! That's a beautiful Morgan right there! If the luster is there, I wouldn't be surprised if it came back in a 67 or 67+ holder. It might even get a bump higher. From what I can see, it is virtually flawless. Just a few small specks that I would not consider distracting at all! Very nice coin all in all! If it came back as a 66, it would probably get a Gold CAC sticker. If it came back as a 67 or 67+, it would probably get a Green CAC sticker. I wish it was coming to me though!

The coin has very clean surfaces in terms of marks and a sharp strike; however, at higher grades, luster will make or break this coin. If the luster is excellent and there are no other problems, then the coin would definitely grade very high. MS67 would be possible if all of these requirements are met and there are no problems with the piece.

Also, what set up are you using to photograph this coin? Maybe its my eyes, but the photography looks a bit odd (but I am certainly no expert when it comes this - your photos are better than I could have done on my own).

Edited to add: Based on the new photos which show several die polish lines, I believe the coin would be accurately described as MS66.

Also, what set up are you using to photograph this coin? Maybe its my eyes, but the photography looks a bit odd (but I am certainly no expert when it comes this - your photos are better than I could have done on my own).

I tried something a little different. I used a diffusing panel. It seems to distribute the light very evenly but it does kill the luster a bit. I'll post a couple of pics with straight bulbs to show the luster.

Good eye!

I would guess 66+, but I'm not a fan of the photographs. Your pictures make it look washed out and dull - whereas I'm guessing it is full of luster. Your pictures show no luster at all.

I would guess 66+, but I'm not a fan of the photographs. Your pictures make it look washed out and dull - whereas I'm guessing it is full of luster. Your pictures show no luster at all.

Thanks for being Honest, it's much better than being Nice! lol

This coin has so much luster, that I tried to diffuse the lighting so you could see how clean it is. ( it didn't work :blush:) Still waiting on the new lights - seller is taking forever to ship!

Here are a couple of pics with the halogens - I still couldn't capture the Halo but I think it's better. The first is a tilted slab shot, the second is straight on.

d6363c27-26b2-462e-9c57-b8704f8b9679.jpg

50f95904-1cea-44f6-96a6-365872af4423.jpg

and the reverse -

4d60b46c-7671-4520-b567-3dde7eb41c60.jpg

I am assuming that I am seeing die polish lines on the new left obverse photo. If those are die polish lines (which I believe they are), I would call the coin MS66. Die polish lines affect eye appeal, and although some members may disagree with any grade discounting, significant lines affect eye appeal and result in a lower grade assuming that we are applying top TPG standards to the photos.