• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somethings a little fishy- JFS Commems.

34 posts in this topic

So I'm browsing through Heritage's website looking for some commems, and, lo and behold, 1/3 of the coins listed are JFS commems. Now, I was at the sale and saw all these sell, since they had no reserve, but did they sell to Heritage?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or was there some type of quasi-reserve? I'm a little confused, and something tells me there's something stinky. Or maybe the buyer of all these commems didn't come through and Heritage has to sell them? BTW, most of the coins are being offered with hefty price tags over auction prices realized. Anybody got the scoop? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I think that what's happening with Heritage is that high reserves were not met or that dealers/investors bought the coins and are flipping them through Heritage, partially based on the high sell prices. Either way, this is one or more people attempting to take advantage of a hot market for commems.

I've also noticed a great many recent auction pieces being offered on eBay at prices that are 25% or better of their recent prices realize + juice. I believe that there are more people (read 'hawkers') than usual trying to up the ante for coins in a "hot market." Oddly, not all coins in this market are hot, and the coins that I've seen for sale don't (IMO) stand a chance.

Hoot

Now, I was at the sale and saw all these sell, since they had no reserve, but did they sell to Heritage??

Don't know for certain, but knowing the JFS guy I'd be shocked if they didn't have reserves.

EVP

I sort of got that feeling at the Pittsburgh auction of Nevadaman's collection! Many times I witnessed the floor bidder losing out against the book's bid reserves. Each time the floor bidder made a bid, some gal with a book at the table up front would up the bid an encrement and the auctioneer would repeat it and everyone up front would turn their heads back at the bidder with anticipation to see if he was still bidding. The coin is not going to sell unless the reserve is met anyway so why don't they just tell the bidder what it is and ask him if he wants it for that!

And yes, I know that some of these book bids are from internet bidders with max bids but when I finally saw the results of the sale at the B&M website, a few coins I thought had sold, for some reason, did not sell. Obviously, these coins had reserves set by the consigner!

Leo

When a coin doesn't sell, there is a little bell that goes 'ding' to let everyone know. I can only recall hearing that once during the entire JFS sale - I think it was an NGC PF68 quarter that only got up to about half of what he paid for it. Beyond that [and maybe one other that I can't remember], all the lots sold.

That little "ding" is only with Heritage Signature auctions. As far as I know, no other company does that.

Of course, that little "ding" could be specific to TDN's psychological problems...

EVP

Of course, that little "ding" could be specific to TDN's psychological problems...

That's so true. The voices in my head told me so... gossip.gif

893whatthe.gif

jom

Oh. Psychological? And here I thought 'little ding' was in reference to EVP's physiology....

yay.gif

Physiology or anatomy? 893whatthe.gif Make yourself clear, TDN! makepoint.gif

Hoot

Laura told me. 893whatthe.gif

Ah! I see...the standard employee physical.

I probably didn't need to know that however. 893whatthe.gif

jom

TDN,

You of all people should know by now that you can't believe everything you hear from a Tourette's patient.

BTW, you should hear what she says about you! I bet that little "ding" is really your ears ringing from all her comments about you!

EVP

PS You seem to know a lot about bananas. Hmmmm.

is it actually true that 'sometimes a banana is just a banana'? wink.gif

Give that man a cigar! wink.gif

I'm kinda worried how he would know this

Laura told me. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

No crueler words have ever been spoken. 27_laughing.gif

Hoot

You of all people should know by now that you can't believe everything you hear from a Tourette's patient.

[!@#%^&^]!

[!@#%^&^]!

[!@#%^&^]!

Hoot insane.gif

Ah! I see...the standard employee physical.

Hey jom, I think Legend now requires yearly proctology exams of all their employees, too! 893whatthe.gif

Is that to see how anal retentive they are? I'll bet there are some broken fingers by the end of those exams.flowerred.gif

Hoot

Anyone here taken a hy-colonic? I hear it's big in LA-LA land. Jom? Anyone? Bueller?

893whatthe.gif Err...I'm out of here! Don't want to be around to read about anyone's experiences having to do with this subject! hi.gif

John