• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photographing Everything!

10 posts in this topic

Every coin that comes in gets photographed these days! Over and over. Different aperture, shutter speed, lights, light angles etc........

Anyway, here's the 2012 GILT "Year of the Dragon". Don't want to sound too sarcastic but the Dragon looks like a cartoon character to me. I'm thinking the Tom and Jerry series. He just seems too happy to be a fire breathing beast (shrug) .

3db4f820-5d8a-427e-86fe-48dc7bcea25b.jpg

This dragon would eat the one on the coin for breakfast! He does a great job of looking out for my girlfriend too! :insane:

bluedragon.jpg

Excellent image, what are you using?

For the Dragon/Girl or Dragon/Coin? :insane:

I'm using the same camera as you recently purchased - Nikon D3100. I have it attached to a bellows with an APO Rodagon-D 75mm f/4 lens. I recently purchased 3 Jansjo LED lights and the whole setup is attached to a heavy duty copy stand.

The setup is pretty good but, to reference the discussion in our other threads, I'm thinking the Nikon's shutter shake makes me work harder to get a good focus than I should have to. I'm in the process of purchasing a Canon, on the recommendation of Brandon (brg5658) and Ray

(rmpsrpms). These two are a wealth of information and both consider the Canon to be superior for Numismatic photography. I think Rays comparison shots from the other thread show this to be true. Particularly in extreme close up shots where the slightest movement will cause an out of focus shot.

I'm going to keep the Nikon as well. I'll have one camera that stays on my copy stand ( the winner of my Canon vs Nikon comparison) and one for my other photography needs.

Here's a pic I took with the Nikon this morning. It takes good macro images. If the Canon can sharpen up the last little bit of fuzziness I'll be set.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Very professional! I'm still trying to work with my Fujifilm digital camera and get decent close-ups on coins. Now I know why people generally get a specialized camera for numismatics.

I wonder which one is the prisoner, the girl or the dragon? ;) They both have rings around their necks.

lol

Given the opportunity, I think I know which side of the chain I'd yank on :devil:

I wonder which one is the prisoner, the girl or the dragon? ;\) They both have rings around their necks.

Well if they want to go in different directions who wins? I think that answers the question.